Tastes Like Home – Book Signing

A little over two years ago, I’d announced that Cynthia Nelson, Caribbean food writer, photographer and fellow foodblogger had completed her book Tastes Like Home. While the book didn’t make it to stores back then, it was released recently, published by Ian Randle publishers and is now available for purchase online and in stores in the Caribbean. In fact, Cynthia has been making the rounds, in her homeland of Guyana, Barbados, and now Trinidad and Tobago, to officially launch Tastes Like Home and do book signings. Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook will be launched in T&T on Friday 1 April 2011, and there will be a book signing at Nigel Khan bookstore in West Mall on Saturday.

Tastes Like Home Book Signing

Tastes Like Home - a book signing event on 2 April 2011 at Nigel Khan in West Mall

I picked up a copy of this absolutely gorgeous book in Barbados last month – it is part memoir and part cookbook. Stories associated with the foods of her childhood, the Caribbean, with recipes and beautiful photos.If you haven’t seen Cynthia’s photos, or read some of these stories, head over to her blog of the same name and get a taste. The book might be larger or heavier than regular cookbooks, but that’s because it’s not just a cookbook. The quality of the paper and the layouts are perfect for a keepsake book on Caribbean cuisine. And after all, it’s where I found out important things, like how despite our many food similarities, Guyanese don’t have bake (roast) bake :-)

1. Thanks for the support! It really means a lot.

1. Cynthia on March 30th, 2011 at 1:43 am
  2. Congratulations to Cynthia on this event. I am so looking forward to getting my authographed copy.

2. trinimom on March 30th, 2011 at 6:55 am
  3. Got my copy:-) Meeting Cynthia in person was awesome. We had a blast!

3. wizzythestick on April 2nd, 2011 at 11:56 pm
  4. I agree :-)

4. Felix on April 5th, 2011 at 12:43 am
  5. I wish I could have gone to this! I’m definitely going to pick up a copy soon because I need some SERIOUS kitchen inspiration these days. I have tons of cookbooks, but they’re not doing the trick anymore–especially since many of my non-Caribbean and vegetarian cookbooks don’t always work with the produce available here in T and T.

5. Laura Georgina on April 6th, 2011 at 2:07 pm
  6. Sadly, I also missed it! I need to find out if Cynthia’s caribbean schedule will match with mine :)

6. Chennette on April 6th, 2011 at 6:42 pm
  7. Can’t believe I missed the signing. And West Mall is right in my backyard! :(

I have few cookbooks, not being very culinarily(?) inclined but this is one I must get.

7. Liane Spicer on April 7th, 2011 at 9:47 pm
  8. @ Chennette – I cannot believe that you did not make it. And I was so looking forward to meeting your mom and L. Hopefully next time. In that case, I am putting in an order for soft kurma in advance! (lol)

8. Cynthia on April 8th, 2011 at 8:39 pm
  9. Wow a new cookbook and I don’t have it yet! Thanks for the information. I will get my copy. Maybe you or your readers will be interested in our site which features all our caribbean islands at http://www.caribbeaninsidersguide.com we did write an interesting post on national dishes of the Caribbean islands. We also feature lots to do, see and experience but are ever mindful that eating is a big part of our Caribbean Holidays as well!

Once again, good luck!

9. Aneil Mahadeo on August 16th, 2011 at 5:22 pm
  10. Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,