Ramadan Mubarak!

Tonight is the first night of Ramadan for most of the Eastern Caribbean.* Tomorrow will be the first day of fasting, but as the Islamic months start with the sighting of the new moon at sunset, the “day” is counted from the beginning of the night!

Ramadan is a month where Muslims try to be the best Muslim they can be, in addition to the daily fast (from dawn to sunset) and the additional night prayers (Tarawih). Because it focuses on a month of fasting culminating in one of the two official Muslim celebrations – ‘Id ul Fitr** – you would find some attention to food during this month. And thus there may be activity on Lifespan of a Chennette during Ramadan especially if I manage to partake of or make some favourite childhood delicacy or experience something new and fantastic from the Muslim Ummah.

You can check out my Recipes page for some of the traditional treats Muslim Trinis might enjoy during this month – savoury ones like accra, kachourie, baigani, or sweet like halwah and sawine. Or read some of my Ramadan to see what I might be getting up to when it’s quiet on the blog!

'Id ul Adha Accra Kachorie - insides Baiganis for Ramadan!
Rice Halwah sawine

———————-

*The moon was not visible last night in our part of the world, but as it was announced in Saudi Arabia, Europe and parts of the USA, some jamaat (congregations) may have started fasting today, based on the ‘international sighting’ school of thought.

**‘Id ul Adha is the other celebration, and is technically the Big Eid.

1. Ramadan Mubarak! I will definitely try some of the recipes on your site. Thanks for sharing!

1. Gretchen on August 11th, 2010 at 11:03 pm
  2. Pancake accra?? :)

3. Lilandra on August 13th, 2010 at 12:17 am
  3. Hmmm….but it tasted great though and was so round without the usual spikes….no photos of them.
    We need some pancake mix at home though …lol.

4. trinimom on August 14th, 2010 at 7:25 am
  4. My in-laws started fasting on Thurs 11th. They were on their way to mosque to break fast when we popped in.

5. Wizzythestick on August 14th, 2010 at 9:41 pm
  5. Dear Chennette: Last night i was talking to my umm about how bitter karili? is, hence we mainly use it is a cleanser, but yet still in certain parts of the country a lot of people eat it in roti and stuff like that. So could you enlighten a brother as to how you all eat/prepare it?

6. Umar on August 17th, 2010 at 10:20 am
  6. Umar – the key to carailli is salting and drying I believe to get out that bitterness. I actually like carailli when it’s cooked well. People slice it thinly, and leave it to dry for a while in the sun (or an oven) – need to check with Mom about the salting part. And then my favourite method is to fry it down with potato, so the carailli gets nice and brown – people might throw in some saltfish too (salt balances the bitter?). I like this with rice and dhal or maybe sada roti. Potato deals with a lot of the bitterness.
    Carailli is also used for kalounji, where you take the whole carailli, season plenty massala, stuff it and roast it on the fire. I doh eat that.
    Maybe a recipe for caraili with potato, if I have caraili to cook :-)

8. Chennette on August 18th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  7. I just love these photos!

9. aka_lol on August 22nd, 2010 at 7:02 pm
  8. thanks aka :-)

10. Chennette on August 23rd, 2010 at 2:30 pm

1. […] Lifespan of a Chennette and Lily's Blog wish everyone Ramadan Mubarak! […]

2. […] *See previous post on how Ramadan starts. […]