Ting!

The first time I heard of Ting was 5 years ago traveling through the airport in Antigua with Caribbean colleagues. At the time, when one of them asked for it at the airport bar (little counter in the middle of the airport, at the time the only place to get some food) I had no idea what it was. But it came in a green glass bottle and for all I knew these new work people boozed it up before flights. So I didn’t think it was a ting for me (yes, lame pun intended…).

You don’t see Ting down here in the South (Trinidad and Tobago, and Guyana). At least not to my knowledge. Can’t recall ever seeing it in Barbados either. So, some time passed before I was actually introduced to this icon of Jamaican non-alcoholic drinks – Ting, the carbonated beverage made from “Jamaican grapefruit!”.

Ting Label

ting "from Caribbean grapefruit"

And that’s exactly what it is – carbonated grapefruit juice. Tangy, not too sweet and fizzy :-) you can see how it could catch on. It tastes good, and like it should be good for you. All that citrusy sizzle.

Of course, this bottle of Ting was bought in St Kitts, so it actually says “from Caribbean grapefruit”. In addition to Jamaica, it is now bottled in the OECS (Carib Brewery in St Kitts) as well, and you can find the drink in more Caribbean countries (still not down here). Notwithstanding the new “Caribbean” tag, I gather Jamaicans will still call it a Jamaican drink :-) – my Jamaican colleagues in St Kitts were taken aback not to see the “Jamaican grapefruit” on the label. At least it’s made from Caribbean grapefruit!

Now I feel like I should go track down some other iconic soft drinks…like Solo Apple J :-) “the champagne of soft drinks!”. Although I doubt very much that was made from Trini apples…

What do you think of as “national” non-alcoholic bottled drinks in your part of the Caribbean?

1. Many years ago, Ting was sold in Trinidad. I recall many a young man asking a lass in a parlour for a ‘Kiss and Ting’. The Kiss referred to a cake made by the Kiss company. (^_^)

1. Jumbie on July 11th, 2010 at 7:44 am
  2. I was introduced to Ting when I went to J’ca.. oddly enough not by J’cans but by my mom, who urged me to bring back some Ting for her!
    Me likes:
    Barbados – Mauby
    Ginger Beer – Trinidad
    June Plum drink – Jamaica

2. Tamarind Ball on July 11th, 2010 at 9:44 am
  3. We find Ting! in west indian places in London. although I was first introduced to it in an Oxford college canteen of all places! Found it again lately and have kept the can, and have lined it up with the Rubicon Mango can for sheer wow factor of the can design and colours.

My favourite for looking at, but not drinking, is Chubby Cola because the bottle shape and name make me laugh.

Peardrax is my fave!

3. Milady on July 11th, 2010 at 1:39 pm
  4. Jumbie – I never see it in Trinidad – maybe that was back when the parents didn’t let us drink too many soft drinks :-)

TB – the Bajan mauby I had a couple times tasted a bit too much of vanilla essence for my strange sensitivities, but that was bottled syrups. Maybe the homemade is better!

Milady – hello and welcome! I was just thinking last night and writing a short post about Peardrax in my head…maybe I’ll get to it now.

4. Chennette on July 11th, 2010 at 6:30 pm
  5. and Cydrax! I think I steamed off those labels and stuck them in a book somewhere (they were so shiny!) (obviously I was a visitor in Trinidad, not a local! they probably thought I was mad :)

5. Milady on July 11th, 2010 at 8:08 pm
  6. I discovered Ting when I moved to Toronto and met my Jamaican friends. It’s awesome. But the first thing I thought of for Trinidad is a Red Solo. No idea if it’s even a Trini thing, but it’s iconic. What else would you eat with a doubles?

6. Fazia on July 13th, 2010 at 9:08 am
  7. Last eid some Bajan Muslims introduced me to that and they were kinda like since its eid this for us is like what Malta is for you all Trinis on special occasions (my own words). Tasted decent though. Kinda reminded made of Bentley.

7. Umar on July 13th, 2010 at 11:23 am
  8. Ting has been available in Barbados for the past 20 years or so. There is nothing like a cold ting. Have you tried our grapefruit frutee? This is another similar grapefruit pop drink.And don’t talk about Peardrax, love it love it love it! I remember solo apple J when I lived in Trinidad in the 60’s and thought that was the nicest drink they ever did at that time.

8. islandgal246 on July 13th, 2010 at 9:13 pm
  9. I love Ting and our kids here in the BVI were raised on it. And, speaking of boozing it up, rum and Ting is one of my favorites. Makes even the Antigua airport not such a bad place to be.

9. Sugar Apple on July 14th, 2010 at 7:14 pm
  10. Ah…I just never saw the ting in Barbados, will have to look out for it next time I am there. It took me a while to like Apple J as a child, but I really like it now. Peardrax…like a special occasion soft drink!

Abigail despite the renovations in the Antigua airport I still get the same dread feeling when I have to pass through it…I think I have spent too much time there waiting on flights that never happened.

10. Chennette on July 14th, 2010 at 10:54 pm
  11. I first had Ting in Jamaica in 1998 and loved it. Went back to Guyana looking for it… and came to B’dos looking for it… no luck :)

11. Cynthia Nelson on July 15th, 2010 at 9:26 pm
  12. Ah yes Ting was way back and it was so refreshing but they stopped bringing it in and we thought that perhaps to not give our fruit carbonated drinks any competition….maybe long before CSME.
    A Red Solo with a dhalpurie and hot spicy curried chicken or shrimp was the favourite of the ladies I grew up with and that is many many years ago…I can remember one of them travelling to London and she was asked what would she like for her dinner and she said I have my dinner but a cold red solo would be nice. This was in a BA flight in the late 50’s, her dinner was of course a shrimp roti….lol.

12. trinimom on July 16th, 2010 at 12:36 pm
  13. I had Thing in Jamaica in 2000 or 2001 but I also remember thinking then that it was also available in Trinidad. I like tangy, fizzy drinks. Our local LLB is not bad either.

13. aka_lol on July 18th, 2010 at 9:52 am
  14. Red Solo, Red solo! (Me jumping up and down for national drink.) Of course it’s not called that any more we say Big Red but it’s actually Fanta something or other…. Does anybody ever call it by it’s Fanta name? Ooooh and I have to add sorrel shandy to that list. Never had the Ting but will be on the look out for it now.

14. Wizzythestick on July 18th, 2010 at 11:42 pm
  15. Ting used much nicer years ago when it was made with a higher percentage of grapefruit juice!

15. Nicole on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:57 pm
  16. I just bought a Ting for my husband today in Chaguanas!

16. Desiree on August 3rd, 2010 at 9:37 pm