Last minute surge for Divali

Well, a couple days ago my blog stats suddenly spiked. It’s not Eid (Eid ul Fitr was a few weeks ago, and we have some time before Eid ul Adha). As usual, even if I didn’t know, the almost single-minded focus of the searches would clue me in. Yes, it’s Divali, the Hindu Festival of Lights, which is big in Trinidad and Guyana. Trinidad does lots of community deya lighting on elaborate bamboo structures (or at least simple arcs), while Guyana has the annual Diwali motorcade in Georgetown, the night before Divali (as in a couple hours ago). Divali this year is in fact tomorrow night.

Now, I don’t celebrate Divali, but it is a tradition to receive the goodies :-) Unfortunately, in my small compound in Guyana with mostly itinerant ex-pats I don’t think anyone will be ringing my doorbell to drop off treats tomorrow night. Mind you, I did ring a couple door bells for Eid, and one of the Trinis was oh so happy since she grew up in a village like me where even though she wasn’t Hindu or Muslim she was used to these little deliveries. So…no opportunity to sample the different styles of saheena and sweets tomorrow. Ah well. At least I know that my blog is serving the needs of those last-minute “Indian delicacy” makers, especially the ones outside who look forward to the reminisces at these times.

Bowl of Kurma Thin Kurma
sprinkles Wedding Sweets

So, what are people searching for? Ah, well, Kurma tops the list. Barfi is very close behind, and as I left work this evening they were actually dead even, but Kurma is back on top. After all there are 2 types to look for I guess, fat and thin. Gulab Jamoon was 3rd, but only half the number of hits as Kurma. So readers, you know what you going to get this Divali!

This might be a good time to point out that I am trying to organise my Recipe page. I have actually collected 24 recipes! Didn’t really want to separate the categories into different pages, but who knows. It’s a work in progress.

1. I am all for a collection of Chennette’s recipes. Your food photos are always tempting :)

1. aka_lol on October 18th, 2009 at 12:01 pm
  2. thanks aka – sometimes I think I must be one of the few foodbloggers who didn’t start out with the intention of providing or creating recipes or writing a book :-) so I was surprised when I got to 24!
    you take a break from cricket nah?

2. Chennette on October 18th, 2009 at 12:04 pm
  3. If you write a book I will want an autographed copy. But I think a god cookbook should be more than recipes; it should be like your blog :)

3. aka_lol on October 18th, 2009 at 4:12 pm
  4. That should have read “good cookbook”

4. aka_lol on October 18th, 2009 at 6:08 pm
  5. I really miss being in Guyana for all the Muslim and Hindu festivals. You know no one will be ringing door bells here in Bimshire 😀

5. Cynthia on October 18th, 2009 at 7:22 pm
  6. aka of course, if I’d caught it before your correction…one day I’ll have enough money or a less involved job and can do some research into food history. Anecdotal. That might be nice.

Cynthia it just never feels right does it? the lack of people turning up to deliver things, sigh…

6. Chennette on October 18th, 2009 at 8:26 pm
  7. That kurma looks scrumptious! Also love falafels

7. Nicole on October 26th, 2009 at 7:44 pm
  8. Thanks Nicole :-) Falafels are such a great veggie food! And if you do a version with bulgur wheat, it’s a different texture.

8. Chennette on October 27th, 2009 at 12:07 am
  9. it occurs to me how viral this could become
    you know how some people say hindus and muslims have slightly different recipes for their sweets (it all vegetarian so how? who knows!)
    soon everyone will be making it our mommy’s muslim style

oh, we went by dad aunt who he used to stay by
    her gulab jamoon was like mom’s (not as good…*snicker* maybe no condensed milk just cream or not much condensed milk) but it was very similar and then i started to wonder if mom’s wasn’t a central recipe but a san juan/barataria kinda recipe

9. Lilandra on October 30th, 2009 at 7:19 pm
  10. maybe, but she doing her bit to spread it to central…but no, she learn those things from her mother who is not from San Juan

10. Chennette on October 30th, 2009 at 7:47 pm
  11. Hmmmmmm….well well….
    My mother was a master sweet maker and people when they had weddings use to come to take her by their homes to make sweets and to supervise the making as well….so she made barfi, laddoo, rice and flour pera , gulab jamoon, jalebi, kurma , different types of halwah, Raham, rasgullah, nankathai, and others as well…. melt in the mouth googias….anyway she was from central as was her mother and her grand mother was from St James…..so follow the sweet recipes…..lol…
    Some things she learnt from a Bengali lady who had a store in the Croisse in San Juan…and she told us the recipes as we helped her…

11. trinimom on October 30th, 2009 at 11:11 pm