It’s ‘Id ul Fitr!

Minarets litEid Mubarak everyone! Ramadan has come to an end, and at least I caught the beginning and the end on the blog 😀 Never fear though, I was at least trying to fulfil the requirements of the month, fasting, prayers etc…not a whole lot of focus on food (that’s what happens when you balance work with an important month like Ramadan…something had to fall by the wayside).

Our (sister-the-elder and I) prep for Eid started earlier in the week with discussions on menu and making lists. I’m doing Eid with her family here in Guyana and not in Trinidad. So, we basically have to cater for the mosque crew tomorrow from lunch onwards (which will NOT be curry since that’s the primary food group they’ve been enjoying all month long at the masjid). And then another big do in the week for other friends, which will be curry (alhamdulillah, because it means less I have to actually cook!). And then, super ambitious this year – I am going to have a few people over next weekend for a small Eid dinner. Haven’t done that since my student days in Edinburgh. I usually just am part of a larger family thing either at home in Trinidad, or here in Guyana with my sister. So lots of menu planning and cooking.

All 3 events will need some sweets. And after our years of experience with Mom, we try to set aside some nights in the week before Eid to make large batches of sweets. This was somewhat hampered by lack of essential ingredients (NO Nestle’s cream? Can you imagine?? I can only surmise the distributor in Trinidad just kept all there!). But 2 nights ago we made gulab jamoon – 206 of them, fried in batches of 13 and then sugared in a quick icing sugar glaze. We had planned to make one of those large cartering size sheet pans of barfi…but no cream and no desire to be creative and experimental with such a core sweet. So tonight we made halwa – 1.5 lbs of semolina halwa! All this while fending off 2 little ones and with the varying helpfulness help of a pre-teen and teen.

We also did some prep for the more savoury courses – boiled 5 lbs potato for the potato salad, ground 3 lbs of channa and lentils for falafel, cooked the 4 lbs of minced beef for lasagna, someone cut up and season the 20 lbs of chicken and made sure we had more than enough green seasonings and other ingredients. We also made a macaroni pie with lots of cheese and mustard…and minced beef (which won’t pass Lilandra’s standards because of that one little addition). It made a good dinner for the night of Eid, followed by ice cream (and goodness, the places little ones can drip and drop ice cream is amazing…and they don’t go for the no-stain coconut…no, it has to be chocolate…)

So for those who are interested, our menu (a la Lilandra’s usual style)

Eid Day

• Falafel
  • Tahini dip (darn got to remember to dig out the tahini from my fridge!)
  • Lasagna
  • Yellow Rice
  • Stew Chicken
  • Potato Salad
  • Green Salad
  • Halwa
  • Gulab Jamoon
  • Sawine

(It may not sound particularly exotic, but we’re looking forward to it, so it’s festive enough!)

Wednesday
Curry – which should be roti, rice, curried meats, punpkin, bhagi…you get the idea)
Plus the sweets

Saturday Night

It’s already close to midnight and I still have to sort out my clothes, so I won’t even try to put more photos in this post. You can browse my Flickr stream for Eid photos and enjoy!

1. ‘Id Mubarak….I am dressed and waiting to go to the Masjid….Salaah is at 8:30 am…..Lilandra is getting dressed and your Dad went to put AC on in the Masjid and come back for us; as usual no one would even volunteer to do… a month of fasting , Ya Allah and still…..
    Nice table spread…. , we were wondering why we did not book a flight to come today after the Salaah to Guyana….cannot believe we did not think of it…..
    Enjoy the day and kiss my grands for me Insha’allah
    Love you all….
    Wa alaykum assalaams

1. trinimom on September 20th, 2009 at 7:42 am
  2. Allyuh still have to get used to this retirement thing and life of relative freedom to pick up and get on a plane. Insha Allah it will happen.

2. Chennette on September 20th, 2009 at 8:58 am
  3. Id Mubarak a day late Chennette. I always get a good laugh when people assume that there will be curry at Casa de Granny Wallah for Eid because as you say, they’re eating that all the time. Now I really know for sure we’re related because one year we had pseudo-Chinese food, all fried rice and chow mein, last year my uncle and his wife did barbecue chicken and potato salad and I made lasagne! No sweets though, it was too much work for me, I think with those things you need sisters.

3. coffeewallah on September 21st, 2009 at 9:41 am
  4. Eid Mubarak! Chennette :-)

4. raz4125 on September 21st, 2009 at 10:11 am
  5. Hey Coffeewallah :-) Thanks for the Eid greetings! Always always good to find kindred spirits in this thing – when we were younger it was a bit of a battle with Mom to not have curry, as people “expected” it. But the argument that we need to celebrate in our own way and showcase other foods (even dare I say, showcase our cooking skills!) on Eid. It wasn’t too hard of a fight, although there were years where we always had curried shrimp and ordered some roti.

Thanks Felix!

5. Chennette on September 21st, 2009 at 3:37 pm
  6. In true Trini style..I’m late, but.. Eid Mubarak. Oh how I miss the different religious holidays in TnT and the wonderful community feeling one would get even if they didn’t belong to group who were celebrating.

Re: gulab jamoon I really hope I can source a spot to get some when I’m home at the end of the week. It’s got to be one of the best treats one could enjoy.

6. Chris De La Rosa on September 21st, 2009 at 11:42 pm
  7. Eid Mubarak! And I am now hungry after reading your menus. All is not lost as I got a bag with two burifis and one Gulab Jamoon this morning which I will taste them during lunch or even for lunch. I didn’t see doubles on the menu though 😉

7. aka_lol on September 22nd, 2009 at 10:57 am
  8. Before I forget, nice mosque photos. Didn’t need a tripod, I suppose.

8. aka_lol on September 22nd, 2009 at 10:58 am
  9. Uhm, no, no doubles…frying 206 gulab jamoon and 3 lbs of falafel was enough finicky frying stuff…but we promised that we would try it on a weekend soon…
    re the mosque photo – thanks :-) it was taken from the top level of the mosque around the Kaabah using the Olympus Stylus 760…hard enough to sneak in a pocket sized camera…imagine for a tripod! This was at ISO 800, f3.4. (I only just checked) Interesting.

9. Chennette on September 22nd, 2009 at 7:05 pm
  10. Happy happy Eid – I’m pleased you had a good Ramadan and from the sound of your blog, the Eid celebrations are just as successful! Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!

10. Tamarind Ball on September 23rd, 2009 at 3:43 pm
  11. Happy Eid – no, I don’t think it’s too late :)

11. Cynthia on September 26th, 2009 at 9:22 pm
  12. Hey TB – thanks! Will email soon with some pix :-) And I guess update on how the above plans went…

Cynthia – It is never too late, thank you :-) especially as my last Eid event only ended an hour aog!

12. Chennette on September 27th, 2009 at 12:26 am
  13. Merry eid – like yuh friend say …hope ah not too late as it has been a while since I checked out this joint. Look like yuh well cook up for the eid. Ah like that idea of an uncurryfied eid – but that real hard when roti is only eaten on special occasions. Wish I had friends like you close by cause the closest thing I had to eid sweets was the ras malai and gulab jammu (what’s up with all that water in that joint?) that I bought from my local Pakistani restaurant. And btw how d sawine looking so yellow? Ah feel yuh put some custard in d thing then talking bout how d place was dark :)

13. Umar on September 27th, 2009 at 11:32 am
  14. looking at your sister’s pics I just realize what I had was what Trinis call rasgullah and the actual gulab jammu is what we call ‘fat/big kurma’ right?

14. Umar on September 27th, 2009 at 11:46 am
  15. assalamu ‘alaikum Umar – and Eid Mubarak!
    Yeah, only trinis call the big rich “kurma” gulab jamoon. Every body else, including Guyanese know gulab jamoon as the one in the syrup. I have a new photo of sawine http://www.flickr.com/photos/chennette/3951875439/ that not yellow. No custard, see? It was just bad light that time, fuh real.

15. Chennette on September 27th, 2009 at 11:56 am
  16. Sorry – late again. Happy Eid.

16. Trig on September 28th, 2009 at 5:23 am
  17. Wow, spectacular photo! As for the menu, sounds fantastic to me.

17. Abigail on September 28th, 2009 at 7:45 pm
  18. Thanks guys :-) Abigail, I am starting to post the recipes, even though horror of horrors, I didn’t take a SINGLE photo for the Saturday event! I enjoyed the weekend, just never got out the camera. I guess it has to happen sometime!

18. Chennette on September 29th, 2009 at 4:33 pm

1. […] that although Eid ul Fitr has passed for this year, that I shall attempt to post recipes for all the things we made for this Eid. After all, people will still be looking for them next year, or indeed for Eid ul Adha (which is […]

2. […] a couple days ago my blog stats suddenly spiked. It’s not Eid (Eid ul Fitr was a few weeks ago, and we have some time before Eid ul Adha). As usual, even if I didn’t know, the almost […]

3. […] of the memorable successes of my Eid menu (and yes I am still talking about Eid ul Fitr, although in the intervening period since…there […]