T&T Mango Festival

For anyone who’s in T&T on Monday Saturday 15th August 2009, there’s the first ever Trinidad and Tobago Mango Festival being held at the IICA office, 10 Austin Street, St. Augustine from 9.00 a.m.- 6.00 p.m.

Chennette's Mangoes

Chennette's Mangoes

The event is hosted by the Caribbean Network of Rural Women Producers and supported by IICA. More information available here.

The Mango Festival: a day of fun, education, community, and good tastes, celebrates the short season of mango abundance. The event includes activities for all age groups, story telling, “smell and name the mango”, best mango chow, best mango display and mango eating competitions. The members of the Network will have on sale tasty mango products, from the sweet: jellies, pastries, drinks, ice creams – to the spicy: chows, pickles, marinades, and for the exotic: beauty products and culinary innovations.

What really grabs me is the “smell and name the mango” competition – I figure that is one where young people just cannot compete. As it is, I don’t know half the mangoes my parents grew up with and they salivate at the mere mention of the name! I imagine they can remember the scents…So I’d come out just to see the varieties :-) Although tasting some good mango chows is also extremely tempting!

—————————
Photos used in the mosaic: 1. trini mangoes, 2. Mango Vere Tree Trunk, 3. Saibani mango on wood, 4. mango kuchela, 5. Rosy Julie Mangoes, 6. ice cream mango 4, 7. mango anchar, 8. ice cream mango 3, 9. Glasgow – Dinner, 10. Saibani mangoes – section, 11. Rice, Dhal, Curry Shrimp and Mango, 12. Saibani Mangoes, 13. Maracas – Aloo Pie

Mosaic made using fd’s Flickr Toys Mosaic Maker.

1. This sounds like fun and mangoes are one of my favourite fruits. They have a big mango festival in Antigua every August.

1. Nicole on August 4th, 2009 at 8:52 pm
  2. This is so close to home I can’t miss it. I will probably take my camera and post some shots. That montage of mango photos will make a nice poster.

2. aka_lol on August 5th, 2009 at 12:44 pm
  3. Question: Is the seasoning podeina the same as Spanish thyme? I told Jumbie I would ask.

3. aka_lol on August 5th, 2009 at 12:45 pm
  4. I thought of you actually when I saw St Augustine – I am not sure I will be home for this, but maybe family members will visit. So would love to see photos!

As for podina, I have always known it to be Spanish Thyme. I wish I knew the origin of the name podina though!

4. Chennette on August 5th, 2009 at 2:34 pm
  5. I’ll be there! [Mangoes and Tamarind – that what chutneys are made of!] lol!

5. Tamarind Ball on August 6th, 2009 at 4:13 pm
  6. Thanks for the info and the day-change. I was still trying to figure out what year 😉

6. aka_lol on August 7th, 2009 at 11:34 am
  7. TB – ah, now a CHUTNEY festival – can you imagine? mango (raw and cooked), tamarind, coconut, cucumber, pommecythere, anybody every try a guava chutney? There could be a competition for the most innovative base ingredient of a chutney – the hottest chutney (music excluded) – the best dipping chutney as opposed to the ones that are like a side dish in themselves. Ahhh, and the pholourie and pies and doubles and bake and shark etc to go with them…Ok, i hungry now…and I don’t reach in Trinidad until tomorrow afternoon!

Aka – I wish I could tell you what calendar I was using, but boy, I have no clue…unless it’s the one that says “time to take a vacation!”

7. Chennette on August 7th, 2009 at 12:17 pm
  8. Looks like Gayelle is the official station for the mango Festival. http://www.gayelletv.com/trinidadmangofestival2009.html. Hrmmm.

8. S. Coop on August 11th, 2009 at 1:25 pm
  9. Man I wish I could be there. Take nuff pics and share with us.

9. Cynthia on August 15th, 2009 at 12:26 pm
  10. I know i might be kinda late on this post, but i had a conversation yesterday with a woman and just came to realize as big as pickles are in this country, i never heard of it until i came here. So seeing that you might be the best person to ask this :), do Trinis eat/serve pickles?

10. umar on April 1st, 2011 at 11:21 am
  11. Lol….have you never had pomme-cey-terre peeled and soaked in salted water with garlic, bandaniya and hot hot peppersand a dash of vinegar, our local pickle. Since I was small this has been sold at schools….and our preserved plums and mango piecesas as well.
    And do not forget amchar and kuchela…they are all pickled fruits but done in different ways.
    I grew up though with home-pickled cucumbers which were eaten with Jaddrah(lentils, rice and bulgur wheat cooked together)…but when my father’s BP went high it was stopped…lol.

11. trinimom on April 4th, 2011 at 7:48 am
  12. or yuh mean an nice lil mango/pomm-ci-tey chow and thing is pickles, but just in we own local flavor? Even d kuchila/amchar….hmmm; well i learn something today. But you ain’t ketching no trini dead putting no kuchila/amchar on they burgers/sandwich though…..could guarantee yuh dat. Jaddrah???… i never hear no trini talk bout dat. Gyul you does mentioning all kinda food i never hear bout :)

12. umar on April 6th, 2011 at 12:11 pm
  13. I like kuchela in a cheese sandwich – you should try it :-) And some people eat it in roti or doubles – which is like our version of sandwiches, so I guess it’s all relative :-)
    I talk a little about jedra here

13. Chennette on April 6th, 2011 at 6:41 pm