Caribbean Cuisine on UKTV

“Celebrity Chef, writer and restaurateur Gary Rhodes recently spent time in Trinidad and Tobago filming segments for a Caribbean cuisine programme. The series will feature cooking and recipes from ten Caribbean countries including Jamaica, Grenada, and Trinidad, Tobago, St Lucia and Barbados and the series will be broadcast on UKTV…

…Rhodes and his crew explored some of the culinary highlights that Trinidad and Tobago has to offer. This included a river lime in Lopinot, a trip to Maracas Bay and a tour of the Chaguanas market, with top local chef Khalid Mohammed as their guide. They sampled doubles which were declared the firm favourite, closely followed by saheena and bake and shark. After the market expedition, the crew had dinner at Khalid Mohammed’s Chaud, where they feasted on the produce purchased at the market. “

Trinidad Express story.

This sounds like something I’d want to see. Especially after the disappointment of Alton Brown not making it down to Trinidad and Tobago! I wonder how much of their experience will make it to the final programme.

—-

P.S. Thanks to Trig - this is part of Rhodes Across the Caribbean on UKTV Food.

1. I wonder which doubles in Chaguanas they had? Do you know which channel locally it would be shown? It should be intereesting.

1. aka_lol on January 29th, 2009 at 6:15 am
  2. Another famous chef with a cooking show? Who would have thought….

heh heh

2. ewe_are_here on January 29th, 2009 at 8:52 am
  3. Good to see trini food reaching somewhere. I wish I could say the same about our music! I just hope there isn’t a trini food mafia brewing in the background :^)

3. raz4125 on January 31st, 2009 at 9:42 am
  4. It’s a shame that Rhodes Across the Caribbean will only be seen by a handful of viewers on UKTV Food. It’s about time Caribbean cuisine was exposed to a much wider audience than unemployed daytime TV watchers and the residents of Haringey.

4. Trig on February 1st, 2009 at 7:26 am
  5. Sounds very interesting. Too bad I can’t get uktv here in the usa. Well, maybe someone will put it on youtube. I really enjoyed when Andrew Zimmern of ‘Bizzare Foods’ visited Trini, and when Anthony Bourdain visited Jamaica on ‘No Reservations’ last year. I even recorded them on my DVR.

5. Amatullah on February 6th, 2009 at 9:52 pm
  6. I wonder how much of their experience will make it to the final programme. – me too.

6. Cynthia on February 7th, 2009 at 9:21 pm
  7. I know what you mean about AB. I was so mad at him for not visiting Trinidad I couldn’t even watch his show.

7. Mark on February 16th, 2009 at 10:01 am
  8. Great article and great to see Caribbean food getting exposed to the world. Love it

8. Freda Gore on March 14th, 2009 at 12:50 pm