Announcements

Yellow Poui at homeSuch a grand title. What could it possibly mean? It certainly couldn’t refer to the photo, which would be a kinda ridiculous announcement, proclaiming the poui so long after the last blooms fell off the trees…but I love poui anyway :-) and the colour of this one in our backyard is appropriate later on in the post. Poui, by the way is a tree that has these beautiful blossoms (pink, white or yellow) that flood the entire tree early in the year (late February/March to May) and then the trumpet shaped flowers fall to the ground creating a natural coloured carpet.

Well, what the title means is that I couldn’t think of any snappy name for this post, which is just to pass on two bits of information.

Lilandra and Chennette are making the Hajj this year. Insha Allah (God Willing). We’re going with our parents, and will therefore be traveling to Saudi Arabia and thereabouts for the entire month of December. To commemorate this, we (Lilandra) have started a blog, called Lilandra and Chennette Make Hajj. We’re creative that way. We couldn’t get hajj at wordpress.com, but we got thehajj – we’re it. THE Hajj. Go visit. so far Lilandra’s retroactively documented our (her) steps since our first official Hajj group meeting (for which I was fortunate enough to be in Trinidad). Maybe this will be a way to help me prepare even though I am away from the rest of the group.

And, if you’re part of the foodblogging community, you may have heard of a grand fundraiser for Briana Brownlow of Figs with Bri. Jugalbandi is hosting this special event for CLICK this month, Click for Bri: Yellow who is fighting a battle with breast cancer. In addition to the special prize for Bri’s pick of the Click photo submissions, there is a fundraiser with lots of great prizes being raffled off for donors. Do you want specialty international food items? Autographed cookbooks? Accommodation in Italy? It’s all there. Show support by participating in Click this month, and if you can, by giving a donation which goes directly to Briana’s account to help with her treatment costs. I have to admit that I didn’t know of Bri before this, but I am a great admirer of Bee and Jai over at Jugalbandi, especially since they launched and manage Click. So, this is my bit to spread the word.

You may have noticed that, as of late, I have been posting maybe twice per month if so much. So much for my plans loudly declared at the beginning of the year. And I am fast approaching my 2nd anniversary at Lifespan of a Chennette…but it’s work. That day job thingy that gives me very little time these days to think, write, think about cooking or taking photos. Sigh. Even Google Reader was conspiring against me this week and not loading so I could keep track of the blogosphere. But, c’est la vie.

See you soon, most likely at the deadline for Click, as per usual.

1. you could just blame it on your theme designer
    who promises when she gets back her computer to start back work
    as soon as she install linux 😀

1. Lilandra on June 19th, 2008 at 3:33 am
  2. *sigh*

i wanna go italy

2. Lilandra on June 19th, 2008 at 3:34 am
  3. Sounds like an exciting trip to plan…

And I hear you on finding time and energy to blog these days… it can be so difficult.

3. ewe_are_here on June 19th, 2008 at 5:04 am
  4. May Allah make this journey easy on you and your family and may He accept your hajj :)

4. Nabeela on June 20th, 2008 at 6:13 pm
  5. Ameen

5. trinimom on June 20th, 2008 at 9:27 pm
  6. Wow, sounds like an exciting and enlighting trip is ahead.

6. Cynthia on June 20th, 2008 at 11:57 pm
  7. That’s a biggie, all the best with the haj, be safe.

7. CrankyPutz on June 23rd, 2008 at 12:01 pm
  8. I am sure you will enjoy it :)

8. aka_lol on June 26th, 2008 at 1:45 pm
  9. Allyuh doh know how glad ah is fuh allyuh. Mashaallaah. May Allaah make it easy and safe for you all and a means of forgiveness for all past sins.

9. umar on July 1st, 2008 at 6:25 pm
  10. Ameen. jazakallah khair Nabeela, Umar for they du’as on our behalf. You know I going to have to review Saudi food :-)

10. Chennette on July 2nd, 2008 at 2:36 pm
  11. Shukran umar and nabeela
    well
    i thought bro and SIL didn’t think much of saudi food
    but i think they suffer from home sickness a lot

11. Lilandra on July 4th, 2008 at 6:53 pm
  12. Like ah Saudi breddrin tell meh: Saudis have no local cuisine per se; they eat whatever they foreign workers cook fuh them i.e. because of they bedouin nature they never make ah big scene about food like allyuh Trinis. Just roast d whole baby lamb under d ground (kinda like a chula but under d earth) – al lil salt would suffice as seasoning – some bread and tea and yuh set fuh d wedding feast.

P.S. Doh forget camel meat – not wild fowl – does break yuh wudu.

12. Umar on July 7th, 2008 at 4:57 pm
  13. ok ok, yeah the brother always said if you not eating Pakistani curry, the options are not varied. I believe he ate a lot of McDs over there the first year…
    so let’s say, I shall review the Saudi eating scene 😀 and let that be whatever it is!

13. Chennette on July 7th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

One Trackback

1. […] that it wasn’t in Ramadan. Especially a Ramadan where I wanted to focus on preparations for the Hajj. But it has given me the idea for this post! How to fast in hotels in the Caribbean For anyone who […]