Apples and Oranges, and Apple Crumbles

Dinner at Home - the DessertMy favourite quick dessert to make recently has been an apple crumble. I don’t need a recipe and once I have an apple or 2 I have all the ingredients at hand. Peel, core and slice. Mix in nutmeg syrup (or honey) and add liberal amounts of cinnamon and less liberal amounts of clove. A touch of lime. Throw in a baking dish and top with a varying mixture of flour/oats and butter with some sugar. Spice up the crumbly bit if you want. I like it spicy. make enough crumble to satisfy everyone. Every bite of apple should have enough crunchy topping. Bake till done. And brown to your liking.

I’ve never been a huge fan of apples. Except in apple pie. And crumble. I like them. I eat
them. I had issues with their water content and the fact that they were always imported and
therefore highly prized for the name, or the shiny exterior and the foreignness. Sometimes they seemed more water and skin and no fruitiness. But then I have issues with fruit sometimes. I’m a fussy person sometimes when it comes to food. And I don’t like change. And it’s hard to make decisions that involve spending major amounts of money. Whether or not I can afford it, I’ve been raised to be naturally frugal, at least in outlook. And that makes shopping for new things a hard road. Look how long I took to choose between the Nikon D80 and the Canon Rebel XTI!

What does this have to do with apples, and oranges and crumbles? Well, some people
tried to hint at it this morning. Remember my monitor dying been profferred as my
reason for intermittent blogging back in January? Well, I crumbled. And I bought an Apple. No oranges here, I apologise for the blip in the truthfulness of my title. My very first Mac, a Macbook. In black.

Let the revolution (peaceful and only in part, as I still am PC at work, and with my old HP now my entertainment centre) begin.

1. WOOOHOOO!!!

APPLE!

hehe

So explain to me, why…when I did have the same upbringing as you…do I find it easier to spend the money or not?

I mean I do spend a lot of time worrying about the money…deciding what to buy? I don’t know…*sigh*

Have you told Big Sis yet???

Your niece might want it…

1. Lilandra on April 1st, 2008 at 4:59 pm
  2. Maybe people might think this is an April Fool’s Day Joke…and tomorrow you’ll say…APRIL FOOL’S! I didn’t buy no icky mac!

2. Lilandra on April 1st, 2008 at 5:00 pm
  3. that would be a Apple Fool’s joke I guess…

you younger section of the siblings – botha allyuh could spend money like water, oui…

3. Chennette on April 1st, 2008 at 5:01 pm
  4. Let me know how the MAC is working out for you. I have been thinking of getting a MAC notebook to replace my PC notebook.

4. Cynthia on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:08 pm
  5. i will :-) 12 days and I should have it in my possession!
    In the interim I have been using Lilandra’s powerbook and you get used to the Macs fairly quickly, or at least the internet applications and navigating the computer docs.

5. Chennette on April 3rd, 2008 at 12:48 am
  6. Another one gone to the dark side! My son is going to upgrade in a few months and he’s going Mac too. I’ll probably be the last writer on Earth hanging on to my old PC…

That apple crumble looks delicious – apple pie without the pastry hassle.

6. Liane Spicer on April 5th, 2008 at 9:49 pm
  7. Now you’ve gone and made me hungry with your dessert and jealous with your computer.

7. Mark on April 8th, 2008 at 9:07 am
  8. Ah Liane, the dark side indeed with the Black MacBook. Can’t wait to see it!

Mark – it got delivered today!!!…to Florida anyway… :-)

I also bought this to go with it.

8. Chennette on April 8th, 2008 at 5:43 pm
  9. Yes, apples are unique. They are actually 20% air! That’s why they can float. Why not try mango crumble when you can’t get apples for whatever reason. The Julie or Graham mango might be best. There is a recipe here: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/594331
    Blessings!

9. Guanaguanare on April 9th, 2008 at 12:34 pm
  10. For some reason, while I like mangoes, I am never sure about how I feel about mangoes in baked dessert – mango juice is weird to me because I feel like I should be biting into a mango with pulp and string and all. As a topping for desserts, yes, but I guess I should try it.

10. Chennette on April 10th, 2008 at 11:01 pm
  11. I have nothing against Apple, it’s Macbook, its pies or even its crumbles. In fact, I admire people who have the courage to buy all the software they need. I have been changing out parts of my PC every six months so it’s hard to say how old my PC is but my laptop is less than a year old. It’s a Dell, the Nissan Sentra/Sunny/Almera of the computer world. I think using an old laptop as an entertainment centre is a good idea and when my Dell is ready to retire I will use it as an MP3 and video player, instead of buying an iPod. I will sting the four-pound wonder round my neck with a fashionable strap and buy a good set of florescent green Koss earphones. It may be the start of a personal entertainment revolution just as the shredded jeans did for fashion :)

11. aka_lol on April 11th, 2008 at 9:14 am
  12. we switched to mac a couple of months ago. i don’t think we’ll be reverting to windows anytime soon.

12. bee on April 11th, 2008 at 11:10 am
  13. Love apple crumble myself and see you’ve served it with its perfect accompaniment, the only thing missing is a liberal dose of caramel/butterscotch…don’t ask me why! It just is :)

How’s the Mac now that you have it in your possession that is?

13. Rone on April 22nd, 2008 at 9:52 pm