CLICK: The Yolk

CLICK

CLICK is a new food photography event, started by Bee & Jai of Jugalbandi. It’s theme based, inviting entries every month based on a culinary ingredient or concept. October 2007 is the first month and I am just about making the deadline of October 20! As part of my goal of focusing a bit more on the blog for this, my 2nd year of blogging, I decided I would try to enter such blogosphere events. Even though I am only starting, it’s an incredible way to discover truly phenomenal food blogs, writers and photographers. So, I venture out deeper into the blogosea (some part of my mind thinks the blog words are bit overdone, but…) with an entry into CLICK for October 2007.

The first theme is a culinary staple – EGGS. Although around the first week of October, I had thoughts of quiche, or a baked custard. Or anything really creative with eggs…this was not to be. I find myself on the afternoon of October 20 making a fried egg sandwich. And thinking back to my varied history with such a meal. As a child I hated the white of the egg. The only point of eating eggs at all was to get to the yolk. And in a fried egg (sunnyside) this was THE best. Yellow, runny and better than butter on toast. Yum. I had multi-grain dinner rolls and thought, “I can make a sandwich with JUST the yolk; it would fit perfectly on this toasted dinner roll.” And so it did. Isn’t it yummy?
Click egg yolk

The picture isn’t necessarily the greatest. But I am working with a deadline here and I don’t have it in me to keep trying today. Lesson to self: START EARLIER. As in days earlier. (And no, I did not waste the white of the egg – I eat them now. I am after all grown up. Egg whites that are crispy and brown are great –with the yolk of course).

I wish Bee and Jai all the best with this food event, which is going to challenge my photography skills, not to mention my procrastination. And good luck to the judges! Take a look at all the entries.

___________________________________________________

UPDATE: October 26 2007Winners posted! Congrats to Sunita’s World, Inner Lens, Spittoon Extra, and Tasty Palettes. I am beyond pleased that my entry at least ranked in the top 10 of 67 in the Delish (Droolworthiness) category :-) Waiting anxiously for the next challenge…

1. Ooooh, bloggie contests. And a yummy looking egg sandwich. 😉

1. ewe_are_here on October 20th, 2007 at 6:49 pm
  2. Thanks for participating. Lovely entry. See you at the roundup. –Jai

2. Jai and Bee on October 20th, 2007 at 7:51 pm
  3. you hated whites? i hated the yolk and still do with a passion – but i love looking at it, in pics such as yours. thanks for a beautiful entry. the simplest is often the most comforting and the most elegant as well.

3. bee on October 20th, 2007 at 7:59 pm
  4. oooo
    i envy you
    i should change my name
    i love your pictures

and whites were the most boring of the egg…i mean…who wants white? and when you boil the egg and slice it for sandwiches and you get these pieces with huge pieces of white in it and no yolk…YUCK!

i’m grown up now so … i like it now

4. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on October 20th, 2007 at 8:04 pm
  5. Hi Ewe! Participating in things is fun :-)

Jai and Bee – thanks so much. Bee, I think the texture of boiled egg white was ugh for me (I tried to dispose of it whenever possible, leading to an incident when I was 4 or 5, where my older sister found it among the herbs in the garden…)

Lilandra change your name? merci for the love 😀

5. chennette on October 20th, 2007 at 8:30 pm
  6. I love yolks too!! I especially love them with anything tomato-y.
    P.S: Love the picture!

6. Nabeela on October 21st, 2007 at 2:35 am
  7. The pic is nice but I think egg yolk is disgusting to this day. I prefer them as done as they can possibly be and have always loved the whites of the egg, this has to do with a hyper aversion to rawness in any form or state. Yolks for me are best overcooked then drowned in black pepper and salt. I do love a really crispy almost burned whites for fried eggs…no clue why…and so much for growing up

7. Rone on October 21st, 2007 at 9:15 am
  8. Thanks Nabeela!

Rone – the things you don’t know about people. I usually cook the yolks more for sandwiches, but for this picture I wanted it glistening. And I never had issues with raw-ish eggs…on cake batter, or in fried eggs. Yes to the crispy burnt white though!

8. chennette on October 21st, 2007 at 11:29 am
  9. herbs in the garden? great minds think alike. you’ll see what i mean when i post something tomorrow.
    bee

9. bee on October 22nd, 2007 at 6:07 pm
  10. That is definitely drool-worthy especially the left side of the pic where the yolk slithers down :)

10. Cynthia on October 22nd, 2007 at 9:35 pm
  11. Thanks Cynthia! I tried to keep the yolk intact, but at least it ran down artistically :-) I didn’t have anything cool to garnish it with, like your green chillies. And your crispy brown lacy whites 😀 are beautiful.

11. chennette on October 22nd, 2007 at 9:46 pm
  12. Hi Chennete. Would it be possible to use one of your pictures (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=qibla+compass) in the Wikipedia entry for the Qibla compass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qibla_compass).?

12. James on October 30th, 2007 at 1:23 pm