A slice of macaroni pie

A slice of macaroni pie

Originally uploaded by Lilandra.

I am in Jamaica, where my room is in a strange blackhole receiving deceitful mobile signals and insufficient wireless signal for the office Dell (ohhh, I miss my HP and the dead power adapter that has had me computer and internet deprived for over a week!!!). But I can still post for you some delightful Trini food. Or at least link to it!

The picture is by Lilandra (blogged with her retroactive permission I hope) taken of Macaroni Pie made by her. She has posted the recipe as well, which is an accurate representation of our family’s preferred method of making Trini Macaroni Pie, the unadulterated version. This version has mustard which provides a glorious colour as well as flavour that pairs well with cheddar cheese. In occasional variations we have been known to add minced beef (yummy for me – either layered or mixed right in), pimento peppers or even hot peppers.

And posting on a food blog during Ramadan in the pre-lunch hours is not such a good idea, even if I am not actually posting the recipe. I now crave macaroni pie like this and I am in Jamaica…

Enjoy her Flickr Macaroni Pie photos. I love this other one too, with all the golden-brown cheesy goodness.

1. Jamaica! I’m jealous. Soooo jealous.

1. ewe_are_here on October 9th, 2007 at 2:11 pm
  2. oh yeah – I’m at an huge beachside all-inclusive in the north of the island…but for the past 2 days I have been stuck in a corridor of a meeting room, and the day we arrived it was pouring rain. I rely on the advertising brochures that assure me it is beautiful here.

2. chennette on October 9th, 2007 at 2:15 pm
  3. Yeah, just stomp all over my fantasy. Go on. SMoooosh it.

:-)

3. ewe_are_here on October 11th, 2007 at 4:35 am
  4. I haven’t had Jamaican macaroni pie in Jamaica for years but you really can’t forget it. I like the tangy mustardy taste with the extra cheddar cheese. Like old acquaintances, Jamaican curry goat should also not be forgot :)

You are lucky to be in Jamaica and away from Trinidad during this latest silly season.

4. aka_lol on October 11th, 2007 at 8:07 am
  5. @ Ewe – SMOOOOOOSHHHHH. I experienced floods on the mountain, it was raining that much on the drive back down to Kingston (after all week of rain!) so i can’t say I ever really noticed the good stuff. Sigh.

@ aka_lol – I cannot say I have EVER had Jamaican macaroni pie. Hmmmm. But we use lots of mustard. Do we have Jamaican roots to our family macaroni pie???

5. chennette on October 11th, 2007 at 8:58 pm
  6. I’m so glad to discover your delicious blog.
    Thanks for offering me the chance and have a very Happy Eid Fitr.
    from Tartous
    Abufares

6. abufares on October 12th, 2007 at 5:45 am
  7. assalamu ‘alaikum and welcome from Tartous! Eid Mubarak. Glad to have you drop by.

7. chennette on October 12th, 2007 at 12:20 pm
  8. Made this yesterday, was great. At my home we never added onions or corn but this turned out to be a nice twist on a Sunday tradition.

Thanks!