Happy Republic Day!

T&T - Our Watchwords: Discipline, Tolerance and Production

In 1976, Trinidad and Tobago became a Republic, after having gained Independence in 1962. Being a Republic means not having the Queen as our Head of State, and apart from access to the Privy Council, we were on our own henceforth. We still had some other functional linkages – our education system, in that our O and A Level exams were still British administered, for example, and the whole Commonwealth thing – but we had our own Government, from chief cook to bottlewasher. Now, I am not necessarily enamoured of our leaders, our government and our politics, but I am proud of our Republic status. There are only 3 of us in the former British West Indies that made that step – Dominica and Guyana being the others.

Our Leaders National Colours in Bunting

I don’t have a Republic Day menu, and in fact I am in the airport right now waiting for a flight so I can’t organise one. But perhaps my location suits the only photos I have to accompany this post, as they are of the patriotic display at the Piarco International Airport in Trinidad. While this was set up and taken for Independence Day, the same display remains in place for Republic Day – the beauty of celebrating the first on August 31st and the second on September 24th!

I wish I was at home, where I would indeed be home for this public holiday, but I will be in Guyana, so I can nonetheless enjoy some measure of Republichood.

Enjoy the day!

1. Nice photos of the display at the airport.
    Red ink to blend with our colours, looks good.
    A History lesson…..
    We got Republican Status on Aug 1st 1976 but it has been celebrated on Sep 24th from 1977 as Sep 24th 1976 is when the Houses of Parliament met for the first time under Republican Status………
    But Sep 24th is supposedly someone’s birthday but do not really want to say who on any forum……………….

1. TriniMom on September 24th, 2007 at 11:50 am
  2. somebody’s birthday?

3. Lilandra on September 24th, 2007 at 4:53 pm
  3. Dr Eric Eustace Williams

4. TriniMom on September 24th, 2007 at 8:39 pm
  4. I’ll stay out of the politics and just wish you guys a happy day, whatever it is. All the best to everyone in Trinidad and Tobago. A country with some truly great cooking!

5. Trig on September 25th, 2007 at 11:42 am
  5. Thanks Trig! Politics can’t go away right now since we’re all eagerly awaiting elections. It’s consuming the country 😀 silly season indeed.

6. chennette on September 25th, 2007 at 1:18 pm
  6. That’s realy interesting that it is Dr Williams’s birthday too, never knew that. I can only imagine how that is interpretted in some circles, caribbean politics! I wish you well in your elections…we seem to be bound for another round, which I have resolved I will not be disenfranchised for 😀

7. Rone on September 25th, 2007 at 8:13 pm
  7. I think the region has had a really interesting year politically. And we still have months to go.

8. chennette on September 25th, 2007 at 8:21 pm

One Trackback

1. By Global Voices Online » Trinidad & Tobago: Republic Day on September 24, 2007 at 12:09 pm

[…] of our leaders, our government and our politics, but I am proud of our Republic status”: Lifespan of a Chennette wishes Trinidad and Tobago a happy Republic Day! Share […]