Fry Aloo Recipe

Fry Aloo Done! close up!I am still on vacation, but my hosts in Glasgow left me home alone with the computer and internet. And TriniGourmet forwarded a request to me a few days ago for a recipe for fry aloo which is a staple accompaniment to sada roti in Trinidad. I love this dish, although in most incarnations it is not necessarily healthy. Thinly sliced aloo (potato) is sautéed with onions and garlic until the edges are brown and crispy. This can take a lot of oil sometimes if you’re not particularly skilled, hence the unhealthiness. But it is possible to leave the oil to drain out after cooking, or with practice, use less oil. One of my Chinese kitchenmates in Edinburgh made a similar dish, without the onions and other seasonings – sliced potatoes and salt, oil and constant turning while it cooked. I loved it. I loved that I had it with someone else doing the work. Because I have never actually made this myself. Hence no pictures until I do in fact try it myself, or document its making in la casa familial. Pictures of the entire process courtesy Lilandra. The recipe, as is often the case with these traditional dishes, is courtesy Mom.

Fry Aloo

Ingredients

• 1 pound potatoes
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • salt and black or white pepper to taste
  • finely chopped hot pepper and green seasonings (such as thyme, celery or chadon beni (bandhania) can also be added if desired
  • oil for frying – about 4 tablespoons

Method
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes. Slice thinly and rinse well to get some starch out.

2. Slice onion thinly. Mince or crush garlic.

3. In a heavy deep frying pan (or a wok), heat oil and sauté onions until translucent.

4. Add potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper (and any other seasonings)and stir well, When the potatoes have beenthoroughly heated through (stirring all the time) allow to cook on a reduced (medium to low) heat, stirring from time to time.

5. After potatoes are cooked through, keep stirring to get the desired colour and crispiness. Note – If the potatoes are brown but not cooked then at last stage you can cover pot and leave on low heat to cook potatoes.

Enjoy with Sada Roti and Amchar or Kuchela.

1. See lilandra for photos as we made this today with sada roti and curried saim(no pigeon peas) flavoured with coconut milk.

1. trinimom on July 26th, 2007 at 5:37 pm
  2. awesome 😀 i’m gonna give it a try 😀 and thanks for saving the day!

2. The TriniGourmet on July 29th, 2007 at 8:33 pm
  3. so now I am finally going to get a chance to try out all your recipes. will let you know the results.

4. Cranky Putz on July 30th, 2007 at 10:05 am
  4. Sounds good!! Good luck both of you 😀

5. chennette on July 30th, 2007 at 4:46 pm
  5. How goes the jet lag?

6. ewe_are_here on August 1st, 2007 at 10:59 am
  6. Hope you are having a good time. I usually leave the potatoes covered on low heat so that the steam cooks it. Once I’ve sauteed the onions, tomatoes, garlic and fresh herbs and mixed in the sliced potatoes, I try real hard :) not to turn it 😀 I do so only once. It is usually not very crispy but brown nevertheless 😀 even if it is not browned all over but you are so right – with sada roti and a cup of tea, this is a fulfilling meal.

7. Cynthia on August 2nd, 2007 at 10:45 pm
  7. Hi Cynthia! Now I am back I should post, but still lingering over the end of vacation feelings 😀 We don’t usually add tomatoes to the fry aloo, but I am sure there are many who do. Not quite sure what the Trini norm is, since it’s not a food I eat outside of home :-)

8. chennette on August 7th, 2007 at 8:02 pm
  8. Still lingering, huh?

:-p

9. ewe_are_here on August 9th, 2007 at 3:41 pm
  9. Sigh. I spoke too soon. I am in Trinidad, supposedly for a short week of family-reunion time. But instead I am in a meeting.

10. chennette on August 9th, 2007 at 3:43 pm
  10. Tried this “Once”..but I think I drowned the poor potato in oil. This is a “must” cook when my mom visits, as our girls just love this and she’s the only one that can cook it right for her.
    couple comments.

1. Try using “yukon gold” potato for this recipe… better texture and taste.

2. If you have left-over stew chicken (beef and /or pork) or corned-beef (canned, cooked like Trinis do) add it to the dish about 4-5 minutes before it’s done. You’ll love the taste even more.

11. Chris on August 16th, 2007 at 7:55 am
  11. Hi Chris. Thanks for the comments. Yes, fry aloo with corned beef or regular minced beef cooked up, sounds like a meal I have had a few times

12. chennette on August 16th, 2007 at 11:48 am
  12. Hi Chennette

Just letting you know about our “share your Caribbean experience” competition. You can win six VIP tickets to the St Lucia Food and Rum Festival, as well as MACO magazine subscriptions. Tell your friends about it.

Click this link for more info: http://www.macocaribbean.com/2007/08/win-tickets-to-st-lucia-food-and-rum.html

13. MACO Caribbean on August 16th, 2007 at 1:35 pm
  13. i have been looking for a site that reps real trinidadian food.iam a culinary arts major married to a trinidadian wife.she remembers food by sight more than by name.i like what your community is doing….

14. da mad bomber on September 1st, 2007 at 7:09 pm
  14. hi dmb and welcome – thanks :-)

15. chennette on September 1st, 2007 at 10:37 pm
  15. Check out Lilandra’ site for a set of photos for sada roti and fry aloo………

16. TriniMom on October 2nd, 2007 at 6:07 am
  16. sorry it took me over two months

i clearly have issues

17. Lilandra on October 2nd, 2007 at 10:45 am
  17. Oh yes!! Dat was good :) Thanks again for inspiring me in de kitchen it’s you to blame when I start to get fat ..LOL
    Dovefly from up north Toronto in the house

18. Dovefly on October 16th, 2007 at 11:02 pm
  18. Hey Dovefly – glad it worked out for you :-) And cook the food yes, but eat in moderation…or invite a setta people over to eat it! Otherwise I have to put up disclaimer and ting…

19. chennette on October 17th, 2007 at 12:54 am
  19. um your set link doesn’t work anymore: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilandra/sets/72157602831255563/

20. Lilandra on June 25th, 2009 at 7:01 am

1. […] for help. Fortunately she knew exactly what the reader was talking about and helped them out in this post. I can’t wait to fry up some aloo myself in the near future, and I’ll be sure to blog […]

2. By Lily’s Blog, Dragon Absconded! » Fridge Woes on August 5, 2009 at 12:19 am

[…] I offered to make fry aloo. Offered?? She insisted that we make breakfast for her and said I could make fry aloo (I kept offering to make it for her when I was in Guyana). So I dragged myself off the bed a bit […]

3. […] Fry Aloo – Trini dish, usually eaten with sada roti – thinly sliced aloo (potato) sautéed with onions and garlic until the edges are brown and crispy […]