Caribbean Beat in May

caribbean-beat-may-2007.jpgI have said before that I like the Caribbean Beat magazine. As a frequent traveler in the region, it’s a regular read. Sometimes it’s the only magazine I have time to read as I refuse to do work on a plane, where for a few brief moments, the world outside the plane cannot get in contact with me. So, happily, it’s well-produced and has interesting content. And the food articles – Anu Lakhan’s writing and perspective are always entertaining, although I have to say I haven’t really tried any of the recipes. The artwork is cool, though.

It was, consequently, a great feeling yesterday to pick up the Caribbean Beat for May/June 2007 and see that Franka, Ms. TriniFood herself had 2 articles in the magazine. Her Herbal Remedies article in particular is a great resource for West Indians living in the London area, and asserts something I personally believe – that as nostalgic as it may be to pack up suitcases full of goodies from home, it isn’t always necessary. Or indeed cost effective, as one of my neighbours found out when she was fined heavily on arriving in Toronto, for her suitcase of minimal clothes layered with zaboca, dasheen-bush, fried carite, plums, chennet etc etc…You know the drill. People pack as if de fam’ly up in foreign cyah get no food up dey in de cold, and they does grieve for these things. I know, sometimes your mother, or tantie han’ is the best, but pack in moderation. After all, fresh foodstuff is always going to taste much better than stale frozen food carried in a airplane hold across the seas. Although, the smell of food traveling in the cabin with visiting family (all the curry and doubles and anchar, kuchela etc) does remind you where you are :-)

Anyway, back to the Caribbean Beat. You can always catch up here on current and past issues. But, if anyone responsible is reading this, you may want to vet the HP advertisement a little more carefully next time.

1. 1. Lilandra on May 7th, 2007 at 7:32 pm
  2. and some people just don’t want to spend the money themselves
    misers

2. Lilandra on May 7th, 2007 at 7:34 pm
  3. Good going…
    Pronounciation of words is also a fast contender with spelling nowadays.

3. trinimom on May 8th, 2007 at 11:19 pm
  4. Pity the poor overpaid HP proofreader….

heh heh

4. ewe_are_here on May 9th, 2007 at 9:51 am
  5. lol u know i have 2 copies of that particular issue and i did not see that but then again i didn’t read the ads. 😀 Does this mean I could get a job at the agency who did HP’s ad? Hmmmm….

5. Rae-ann on May 18th, 2007 at 8:39 pm
  6. it was the first time in a while (for me) since I had been on Caribbean Airlines and I was reading through the entire magazine! Plus, it just spoke to me – I must have been moody that day 😉

6. chennette on May 19th, 2007 at 1:49 am
  7. Hey Chennette, glad you liked the article. This is an unfortunate mistake but that advertising agency should get a proofreader. Unfortunately, the way that things go, the editorial team of the magazine (and this happens at many newspapers too) doesn’t see the ads before they go into the magazine, so they would have been just as appalled as you to see it. Unfortunately, once the magazine goes to print, you can’t pull a whole run because of one advert. I’m sure the Beat editors let the HP ad exec know how they felt.

7. Trinifood on June 5th, 2007 at 1:36 pm
  8. I figured it was an HP problem since I hadn’t ever noticed this in the articles. It must be particularly stressful for editors when you can’t even rely on one of those huge companies to hire an accurate proofreader!

8. chennette on June 5th, 2007 at 2:08 pm