Asian Palm, Barbados

So far I’ve been reporting on my excellent dining experiences. And why not, right? Share the good stuff. But, lest you think I am not a discerning diner, I have had some disappointing experiences. So let me share one of those.

Asian Palm Thai Restaurant, Holetown, St James, Barbados

Asian Palm is described as a Thai and Chinese restaurant and is situated in the same street as the very nice Sitar Indian Restaurant. Little narrow 2-storey house, very unprepossessing on the outside. We decided to go there, because we were in the mood for Thai, but were in St James and didn’t feel like heading all the way to Tamnak Thai in Christchurch. Plus, we wanted somewhere a little cheaper. So, fingers did the walking, found a Thai place, and out we went.

Well, it wasn’t a particularly fancy restaurant, but that’s never a problem if they have good food and service. The only guy we saw was friendly enough and led us upstairs past the empty bar/downstairs area (no real need for a reservation in the middle of the week, perhaps). The decor could have been really great – nice curtains and colours on the walls. Asian bamboo touches etc. Ruined completely by a blue-ish tablecloth that clashed with the other colours, and covered in plastic!! Sigh. Could still have good food, right?

I ordered the shrimp and pineapple Red Curry. I had not had Thai food in sometime and a red curry with pineapple sounded great. But it wasn’t really a red curry – it didn’t taste particularly Thai, and wasn’t very red. It looked like it had been made with regular curry powder ingredients, and not the red curry paste, which starts with red chillies. It didn’t taste bad, but it wasn’t anything special or Thai. I had egg-fried rice, which was standard Chinese takeaway type fare. My friend had Pad Thai, since she loves loves that dish, but she was also disappointed. Yet again, not a very authentic flavour. Now I do accept that Pad Thai and even curries can vary from cook to cook, but I am sure you get the idea – the food didn’t blow our minds :-) or satisfy the particular craving we’d been having. Now, my experience with Thai restaurants before this is mostly from the UK, while my friend would have enjoyed hers in the US. And both of us were left wanting. Tamnak Thai on the other hand, in Christchurch, meets our Thai needs.

Of course, this is not to say that I am advising that you avoid this restaurant. The service was friendly, although not particularly attentive. The food is not bad, just not particularly special or noteworthy. Just be forewarned that it is more akin to your standard Chinese restaurant fare and not really Thai. Also, the menu has flying fish options, so you get a Bajan-Chinese-Thai kinda food. I would probably go there again and try some of their other dishes. And it isn’t overly expensive or formal, so it was a good liming dinner. We actually stayed there really long. Long enough to get past the usual “work people crazy. What is wrong with all these lunatics?” and move on to normal conversation. And trust me, my life right now, the work-people-crazy talk can go on. And on.

1. Hmmm

hungry

1. Lilandra on April 7th, 2007 at 9:19 pm
  2. On the other hand, I can currently understand the desire for plastic table cloths…. especially just after watching my almost-2 year old try to eat soup. By himself.

Sigh.

2. ewe_are_here on April 8th, 2007 at 2:56 pm
  3. Oh, I can just imagine MF eating soup. He must have been proud of himself though! 😉

3. chennette on April 8th, 2007 at 2:57 pm
  4. Hi Chennette,

I ate at Asian Palm last year and you are right on the money. I was so happy when I discovered it being a big fan of Thai food. I am also mindful that a place does not have to look fancy to serve really tasty food :) so I rubbed my hands with glee as I waited for my shrimp Pad Thai. Man I was disappointed just looking at the food but I ate it and vowed to be really desperate for Thai food before going back there in a hurry but I can see more than a year later that things have not changed that much 😉

4. Cynthia on April 8th, 2007 at 4:20 pm
  5. I enjoy thai food alot her in the UK. i recently discovered it though as i was looking around for some good tasting food. Here in the UK the food really is not to my liking but the Thai food is great. i love how they combine fruits in their cooking especially pineapple i love pineapple.

5. mustapha on April 19th, 2007 at 11:37 am
  6. Yes, that was when I was introduced to thai cooking – in the UK. Love the curries, and the use of cashews and nuts. Also never a fan of fruit in savoury food, except pineapples on pizza, and in Thai curries.

6. chennette on April 19th, 2007 at 4:39 pm
  7. We used to eat often at Asian Palm but found that it was not consistent. The chef is the owners wife and she is not always there. It is hit and miss. I like their green curry though. Now we go once in a while and I stick to the green curry.

7. islandgal246 on July 31st, 2009 at 5:05 pm
  8. Good to know. I’d try it if I went back 😀

8. Chennette on July 31st, 2009 at 5:15 pm
  9. Great food! Has a variety of thai food that tasted amazing! :)

9. Albert on May 29th, 2011 at 9:09 pm
  10. We had bad experience with Asian Palm around 2008, we ordered Tom Yam Soup at that time and was really disappointed, early this year we decided to try again since Limegrove Cinema has opened, my husband said lets try again and take our chances, and we were pleasantly suprised with the food, I agree decor need some work and Ernest (the owner) can speed up a little with the order, I think they do very well in take away during weekdays, now at least once a month we go there mostly for dinner and occasionally for lunch…:)

10. Lily on September 9th, 2012 at 8:19 pm