Guyana National Stadium, Providence

I am depressed and I will not post about the match yesterday. I’ll just talk about the stadium. The team doesn’t seem to want this, even though the fans here certainly did. This was the first sellout crowd of the tournament and Providence Stadium was packed with 12,200 people. 12,200 people and I had to be sitting right behind a group of Sri Lankan fans.

This was my first CWC match. I was impressed with the stadium. Great design so you get great views from anywhere in the stands. Even from the Grass Mound where we were (cheapest “seats” @ US $25). Tonnes of washroom facilities kept very very clean despite the throngs of people. I hope Barbados did just as good a job with Kensington, as I will be there for 3 more Super 8 matches. Pictures on my Flickr. More pictures at the end of this post.

Baby enjoyed herself. When we started walking into the stadium, she went silent and her eyes just grew. She could not believe we brought her to a place where she could see so very many people. At least she had fun – she doesn’t understand the game just yet. Ah, innocence. She had 2 naps in the middle of the madness.

I didn’t really explore the available food. With the price of concessions being a bit high there wasn’t the variety that I would expect from a West Indian cricket match. Oh for the Oval where you could get roti, shark and bake, soup, anything you want under the stands, freshly made right in front of you. I did buy a sno-cone with condensed milk! The sno-cone man was selling them with chocolate syrup as a topping! Chocolate syrup on a sno-cone??? Oh well, something new for the tourists 😀

1. Baby doesn’t understand cricket yet?

Does anyone?

heh heh

1. ewe_are_here on April 2nd, 2007 at 3:33 pm
  2. Oh, and I feel for you on the Sri Lanka match; I was pulling for your team of course, even though I don’t understand the (silly) game.

And I was also really bummed when Ireland lost to England. Really bummed.

2. ewe_are_here on April 2nd, 2007 at 3:35 pm
  3. maybe not understanding the game will save her a lot of heartache later in life
    yeah – I wanted Ireland to beat England too. I will see Ireland play at a couple of their matches in Barbados – I’ll take some pictures of those fans (and this time remember to CHARGE my batteries)

3. chennette on April 2nd, 2007 at 3:59 pm
  4. love the photos. glad to hear that w had a sellout at a stadium somewhere cause the crowds elsewhere looking real sparse

4. jdid on April 2nd, 2007 at 4:26 pm
  5. hey jdid, thanks :-) it was nice that everyone came out in Guyana – truth is there were some empty seats, but with the crowd they did manage, I could actually believe them when they say sellout. Even with the rain at the start and the overcast conditions all day, it felt like a full crowd.

5. chennette on April 2nd, 2007 at 6:51 pm
  6. they said it was a record breaking number (12,208) at this stadium!
    easy to get a record breaking number with only 3 matches! :-p

6. Lilandra on April 2nd, 2007 at 8:41 pm
  7. I know – I was there when they flashed the “record” but for those same reasons I declined to mention that 😉

7. chennette on April 2nd, 2007 at 8:52 pm
  8. I too am very sad :(

8. Cynthia on April 3rd, 2007 at 3:40 pm
  9. I am sucked in now to the end – I tried being detached before the tournament started, but wouldn’t you know it – I went down to the ticketing office and bought tickets 30 minutes before the opening match…

9. chennette on April 3rd, 2007 at 10:31 pm
  10. suckered me too
    all your fault
    and i’m going to post about it
    except

but yes, I probably rooting for Sri Lanka too in this match

14. chennette on April 4th, 2007 at 1:14 pm
  14. 2 runs, baby!

(whatever that means)

heh heh

15. ewe_are_here on April 5th, 2007 at 6:51 am
  15. it means it was a pity I was on the plane for the end of the match :-( and didn’t see Sri Lanka win. But Yay!

16. chennette on April 5th, 2007 at 10:17 am
  16. And which tropical country will be graced with your presence this weekend? And is their yet more cricket attendance involved?

17. ewe_are_here on April 5th, 2007 at 11:22 am
  17. Well, actually I could have gotten a ticket to the match in Antigua, but since I made Mom come visit me in Barbados, it being that time of the year, I will be roaming around my 3rd home this weekend :-) Cricket only on the tv.

18. chennette on April 5th, 2007 at 11:30 am
  18. Dad and I listened to the last two overs. We were at the house…
    It was awesome!!

19. Lilandra on April 5th, 2007 at 3:38 pm
  19. overs?

are those runs?

20. ewe_are_here on April 5th, 2007 at 11:07 pm
  20. overs, because I know you are dying to know, now that you are bringing up 2 boys in Jolly Olde Englande 😉
    – a One Day International (ODI) cricket match (such as is played during the Cricket World Cup) has each team playing one innings; each standard ODI innings comprises 50 overs; each standard over has 6 balls bowled to the batsman, by rotating bowlers from alternating ends of the pitch, one bowler per over.
    Lots of permutations and commutations that may change these numbers, but those are the starting goals, rain permitting.
    See, I have educated you on cricket 😀

21. chennette on April 5th, 2007 at 11:12 pm
  21. Hmmmmmm…. I thought innings was the singular – and I love the rotating bowlers – makes the run-up sooo much more interesting :-)

Never mind me – my brain is fried from having too many children….shout out to ewe…

22. Hmmm on April 6th, 2007 at 4:27 pm
  22. oh yes, you’re right…what was I thinking? I shall amend my comment, because I can.

23. chennette on April 6th, 2007 at 5:40 pm
  23. You can also delete hers so that nobody will ever know you, Chennette, made a mistake.

Except google of course.

24. Lilandra on April 6th, 2007 at 9:33 pm
  24. Yes, but I don’t have problems with making mistakes 😉 or correcting them – and deleting people’s comments without consultation is rude and could remove my standing invitation to certain households

25. chennette on April 7th, 2007 at 12:11 am
  25. spam caught it accidentally

you were hacked!!!

26. Lilandra on April 7th, 2007 at 2:29 am
  26. you don’t want people to trust you?
    and how would I then explain the revision to my post – out of the blue?

27. chennette on April 7th, 2007 at 3:19 am
  27. hahaha delete away…the other aberdonian actually typed it but he had asked if we should e-mail instead…but ofcourse we were too lazy….

delete this tooo….

chat soon, hey lilandra!!!!

28. Hmmm on April 7th, 2007 at 1:18 pm
  28. By “we” we mean Hmmm, of course….

29. The other Aberdonian on April 7th, 2007 at 1:19 pm
  29. a friendly hacker who’s trying to help you out?
    you accuse me of strange things anywayz without them being true

30. Lilandra on April 7th, 2007 at 1:32 pm
  30. Hi Hmmm! Yes, three children sounds like too many at the moment… although people do keep wondering if I’m going to try for a girl.
    Karma dictates I would probably get twin boys instead I’m sure… shudder.

As for ‘overs’, verrrry confusing.

And as for post-editing, hey, we all do it. Our blogs,our fixes should we so desire 😉

31. ewe_are_here on April 8th, 2007 at 2:55 pm
  31. Hey…

Girls are great, they’ll keep the boys in line. Three I guess isn’t THAT many (Mum had 8!!!, after being an only child herself) but they’re just at an awkward age right now….ofcourse the baby is perfect…smiles and chuckles…

Would love a fourth, but exactly the same fear…twins again or heaven forbid triplets…we saw a show about that…shudder

32. Hmmm on April 9th, 2007 at 3:47 am
  32. the westindies must go

33. speed on April 9th, 2007 at 2:12 pm
  33. go where?

34. Lilandra on April 9th, 2007 at 3:33 pm

1. By CRICKET! » Cricket Woes on April 4, 2007 at 4:10 am

[…] Why?? I am also scheduled to go to a match. Do you know that’s the ultimate torture for me?? Chennette says the facilities in Guyana are very nice. I hope they are such in Barbados. I worry about this a […]

2. […] Guyana National Stadium, Providence   […]