Champers Restaurant, Barbados

Champers on the wall Although I am still not regularly online, I feel like I have been neglecting my blog. So although I don’t have the energy to write anything particularly interesting, at least I can report on where I have been eating :-) With pictures.

Champers Restaurant is off the main South Coast Road in Barbados, literally ON Accra Beach. The location is reason enough to visit this restaurant since you see nothing but those crystal clear blue waters of Barbados – as if you are asea. Sitting at the table and staring out at the sea was so soothing. While this may have influenced my views of the food, I do have pictures to prove that at least the meals also looked great 😉

I had lunch there as part of a business meeting, so I can’t claim to have experienced the regular experience. However, the food was excellent, so at the very least the chef is good! And judging by their online menus the meals offered for the group lunch are part of their normal offering. The Menu at right, which was printed especially for our group, offered theChampers on the wall - Menu following:

To Start

Hot Split Pea Soup

Warm Duck Breast & Apple Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Champers Caesar Salad

Coconut Shrimp and Chilli Sauce

Main Courses

Shrimp Curry with Basmati Rice & Vegetables

10 oz Striploin Steak with Peppercorn Sauce with Frenh Fries

Grilled Dolphin with Orange & Ginger Sauce served with Savoury Rice & Garden Salad

Chicken & Mushroom Fettuccuni with a Creamy Chardonnay Sauce

Desserts

White Chocolate Cheesecake with Strawberry Coulis and Vanilla Ice Cream

Warm Bread Pudding with Bajan Rum Sauce and Ice Cream

Mango Sorbet served with Fresh Fruit

They served the meal with these absolutely lovely garlic herbed rolls. Which they took away after the starter. Bad people. Sometimes maybe people want bread during the meal. Especially small little delicious rolls. Good thing I stashed one away in my bag for later!

I had the following (pictured from the left going clockwise):

Starter: Hot Split Pea Soup: The soup was a bit spicy, with ginger and a touch of sweetness. Nice balance of flavours so it didn’t taste like dhal :-)

Main Course: Shrimp Curry with Basmati Rice & Vegetables: It was good shrimp. And a very nice side of fried ripe plantain (love fried ripe plantain – what caramelises better?). The curry itself wasn’t fantastic, but at least it was not bad and gritty (which happens when people think that throwing in curry powder at random intervals will create a “curry”). However, it could have had more flavour. And more of it. Started to think that I should have saved some of the starter to use as dhal! The poppadum thing in which they served the vegetables was also a nice touch. I like to have a range of textures and since they took away the bread it was an acceptable substitute despite not being herbed and garlicky.

Dessert: Double Chocolate Brownie with Pecans served with Vanilla Cream Sauce and Ice Cream: So Good. So Chocolate-y. So very very good. But after the other 2 courses, even though I didn’t eat all my rice (trying to leave room) I still couldn’t finish this.

And there’s a picture of the bread pudding because I was sitting next to a recipient of same. And it looked so pretty. Of course, I didn’t eat that because of the rum sauce. I wish I knew what was topping the desserts though. It looks real, but no clue what it could be. Any ideas? (UPDATE: I have been informed, after taking a picture of the same topping at the Flindt Patisserie that Cynthia mentions, that this is Physalis Peruviana or Cape Gooseberry.

1. Hey Chennette,
    You are missed. I keep checking your blog daily to see if you’ve posted :)
    I like the food at Champers. I like their Thai Shrimp Curry.
    Now, as to the thing – the beautiful berry atop the bread pudding, I have seen it on desserts made by Patesserie Flindt, I always forget to ask if it is edible. I usually like to go by the rule of a garnish that it should be edible, so, I bit into the berry one time – the taste was bland, I did not swallow however for fear of it being not edible. LOL.
    Hope you get back to blogging more often, soon.

1. Cynthia on March 19th, 2007 at 9:34 pm
  2. I have to admire anyone who can take pictures of food before they eat it because my concentration does be on my belly and not the camera. That’s probably why the blog at Allyuh doesn’t have a food category.

2. Dre on March 19th, 2007 at 11:18 pm
  3. how come you get to take these pictures at a business meeting?
    and you know, i’ve seen them before but strangely enough they have new life, framed and tabled in your blog
    they look even better

i been neglecting too

3. Lilandra on March 20th, 2007 at 12:26 am
  4. Hmmmmmm,

The good life, can’t remember the last time I ate at a restaurant – not counting the places we take the kids…which can hardly be described as fine dining…smile.
    Although they love Fridays cos of the balloons and if you stand and crane your neck you can catch a glimpse of the north sea….smile. Great pictures – glad you’re having a good time, those are the kinda business meetings I like…smile

4. Hmmm on March 20th, 2007 at 8:33 am
  5. @ Cynthia I have so sadly been offline at home and I don’t usually blog at work. But glad to know you’ve been checking in – I have also been visiting your blog and column (more fruitful for me since you update regularly!)

@ Dre It takes some practice; and ignoring the frustrated and hungry sighs of your dining companions 😀

@ Lilandra It was more like lunch during a business meeting/conference – 3 big tables of us, and I was fortunate in that most of the persons at my table were well known friends or colleagues, who I hadn’t seen in a while. And given our view and the presentation of the food, they understood when I said I just had to take out the camera.

@ Hmmmmm If I ever get to take a vacation, maybe an extra pair of hands, or a baby sitter can get you out to fine dining :-) Lilandra can come along and do the poop-changing!

5. chennette on March 20th, 2007 at 12:23 pm
  6. since you dragging me along to change diapers, i’ll come, comforted by the fact that my ticket will be paid for by you

6. Lilandra on March 20th, 2007 at 6:35 pm
  7. Lilandra – dont’ worry, first time visitors don’t have to do the dirty…unless they really want to…smile

Besides, I really need to see (and film) Chennette doing a change..I’m sure her expression will be priceless..

And if you do babysit – which i would love…my activity of choice would be SLEEP,, GLORIOUS SLEEP… that old friend that I USED to know and love…sleep

7. Hmmm on March 21st, 2007 at 5:11 am
  8. Chennette – do I know any of the friends and colleagues…anyone exciting…smile

8. Hmmm on March 21st, 2007 at 5:17 am
  9. Your blog just makes me hungry….it’s like watching the food network, addictive yet leaves you so very hungry…

9. Cranky Putz on March 21st, 2007 at 10:03 am
  10. Cranky, I remember telling Chennette that a long time ago, lol.
    Well Chennette, I too was wondering how you managed to take photos during the business meeting. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

10. Mani on March 21st, 2007 at 9:35 pm
  11. People people…I have skills 😉 Although there have been many many occasions where I have been dining out for a work thing and could not pull out the camera. Just think of what those shots could have been like!

11. Chennette on March 21st, 2007 at 10:52 pm
  12. lol, you need to get one of hose spy/hidden camera eyeglasses.

12. Mani on March 22nd, 2007 at 1:39 pm
  13. I’m jealous. The restaurants we go to these days often have balloons for wee people. 😉

13. ewe_are_here on March 23rd, 2007 at 11:05 am
  14. Went to champers earlier this month for my birthday . This one of my favorite restaurants.

14. islandgal246 on July 31st, 2009 at 5:11 pm