From Bridgetown

I am still internet-deprived, but Lilandra is visiting so neither of us have updated our blogs. I am at work, so I have an unfair advantage :-)For the past 10 years I have heard much about how nobody every invited her to visit Barbados (never mind she was busy doing A-Levels and getting those As) and how she only went there once and she never see how or where I live or anything like that. Usually ending in a “nobody loves me” refrain. The past few days I have been able to check the following off the list:

* Visit to a supermarket (it was on the list! and we’ve done this many times now…)
* Drive past UWI, Cave Hill Campus (not made it inside yet)
* Drive past 1 of my 2 student residences
* Visit to Bridgetown, a very pretty waterfront city (note pictures)
* Dining on Bajan flying fish and macaroni pie
* Eating at Chefette’s
* Driving along the west coast
* Pointing out “The Esso”
* Providing 1 homecooked meal
* Going to a mall
* Getting lost while driving in the dark
* Dining at other restaurants (not counting Chefette’s)

So, there’s been Lilandra’s visit in a nutshell. There is more, but I’ll leave that for her to tell. And pictures of food will always follow – we have been eating reaasonably well.

1. Aha! Allyuh told me NOT to come to Barbados :-(

Please note that shopping wasn’t a priority, nor was sightseeing!

1. Lilandra on February 20th, 2007 at 8:57 pm
  2. I love Barbados …. I love the beach, I used to love chefette, but that was only when Chennette refused to cook…smile, which probably never happened. Okay, maybe I ate at broasted chicken breasts sandwiches in that dark period (one semester) when Chennette left me for foreign lands. Glad Lilandra is having fun….

2. Hmmm on February 22nd, 2007 at 5:29 am
  3. In those foreign lands that semester I didn’t cook much – the communal kitchen was a bit scary. Pizza slices and bagels. My semester in Toronto.

3. chennette on February 22nd, 2007 at 10:26 am
  4. It sounds like you two had a nice, mellow week. Bridgetown looks lovely. Sigh. Someday, perhaps.

Although the internet deprivation ‘at home’ would drive me bonkers.

4. ewe_are_here on February 22nd, 2007 at 11:16 am
  5. I’ve often wondered what Chefette means by ‘broasted’ chicken. I asked once and all I got was “is just fry chicken”.

5. Cynthia on February 22nd, 2007 at 3:14 pm
  6. ewe…yes
    bonkers
    but sometimes it’s like no pressure to do anything or worry about email and blogging and such

tho
    tonnes of spam in my blog queue

6. Lilandra on February 22nd, 2007 at 3:25 pm
  7. Hi. My name is ‘ewe’ and I’m addicted to blogging.
    😉

7. ewe_are_here on February 23rd, 2007 at 10:35 am
  8. ewe, a true blogging addict would be blogging from the delivery room…not making other strange elaborate plans.

*tsk* *tsk*

9. Lilandra on February 23rd, 2007 at 5:45 pm
  9. a warning little sister – don’t mess with the pregnant ladies waiting on delivery…they can be mean

😉

@ Cynthia – I always assumed it meant BRoiled and ROASTED or something so. Not having ever eaten it, however, don’t have a clue…

10. chennette on February 23rd, 2007 at 6:06 pm
  10. I not messing with them.
    Not if they’re true blogging addicts.

There is such a thing as video blogging! :)

11. Lilandra on February 23rd, 2007 at 11:15 pm
  11. So I should instruct the hospital to install wireless broadband on the maternity ward ASAP?

uh huh

12. ewe_are_here on February 24th, 2007 at 12:21 pm
  12. you should have a wireless card
    doesn’t your husband have one?
    one of those subscriber thingies…

or
    a blackberry
    or some other phone with internet! :)

13. Lilandra on February 24th, 2007 at 12:45 pm
  13. Our house IS wireless. I live on a laptop.

14. ewe_are_here on February 25th, 2007 at 10:08 am
  14. But you’re not having a home birth! (or, are you???)

So you need one of them subscription wireless cards for the laptop for when you go outside the house…!

15. Lilandra on February 25th, 2007 at 11:50 am
  15. is there such a thing as Bajan flying fish????

16. Yan on March 1st, 2007 at 11:33 am
  16. Yan, ssshhh, we try not to create international issues with the flying fish :-)
    But at the very least, if they season the (Tobago) flying fish with marjoram and fry it up Bajan-style, then it could be called Bajan flying fish 😉

17. chennette on March 1st, 2007 at 12:34 pm
  17. Yan: psst! noooo! and i may have implied that in other postings…but i was being nice to them and pretending…

i think there are a lot of bajans online…i need to get my t&t defense stronger before i start making war

and we need chennette safely out of their country too!

18. Lilandra on March 1st, 2007 at 5:50 pm
  18. HMMMMM, shall I invite a few friendly Bajans to comment…hey, are any friendly bajans when a Trini mentions flying fish. Hey, will any Tobagonians be friendly cos I have just implied that the flying fish has something to do with Trinidad…

19. Hmmm on March 2nd, 2007 at 12:26 pm
  19. Nooo…no more international incidents on my blog
    There are many kind and friendly Bajans who visit and read. And I just enjoyed some Bajan macaroni pie and dolphin (the fish!) for lunch, so I don’t want any hostility.

20. chennette on March 2nd, 2007 at 2:50 pm

One Trackback

1. By Shut Down or Shut Up! » Curses! Foiled Again! on February 23, 2007 at 1:36 pm

[…] the title of this post, and the series of recollections you can probably tell where this is going. On Saturday, we went into Bridgetown. It was Chennette’s first time back since her student day… And I finally made the simple connection between Bridge, town and Bridgetown :-) Please note that […]