Caribbean Airlines, Caribbean Beat

It took me a few weeks, but I finally made it onto an official Caribbean Airlines flight. It wouldn’t usually take me this long, since I did travel some usual routes during the period, but Caribbean Airlines has changed theirs!

I am still unclear on the exact new routes, but I do know that Trinis can no longer go home from Guyana on a Friday evening and return Sunday afternoon for a weekend home. Now all flights from Georgetown to Trinidad are in the MORNING. And return…

No more easy travel between Guyana and Barbados – what were they thinking? Sigh. I am doomed to travel from Georgetown to Barbados on Caribbean Star/LIAT now since Caribbean Airlines has seen it fit to route everything through Trinidad. Wonder what the Bajans have to say about those unilateral route changes?

Anyway, happy to see one of my favourite parts of the experience, the Caribbean Beat inflight magazine, is still there unchanged. And I do like this cover. The hummingbird is pretty and the white background does give off “newness” vibes.

I am still holding back my acceptance of change, however. That can only come when I internalise the new routes and see how they fit my plans 😀

1. *sigh*

I see the new Publications list!

1. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 4:11 pm
  2. Felt the need to get more organised

2. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 4:19 pm
  3. I *love* Caribbean Beat

3. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 11:48 pm
  4. Love the hummingbird. Always had a fascination with them. My mother used to keep them going in the winter – the silly ones that didn’t move to warmer climates – by heating up and putting out fresh hummingbird food first thing in the mornings.

4. ewe_are_here on January 22nd, 2007 at 5:50 am
  5. Hey Chennette

How come you don’t sympathise with any of my pregnancy symptoms huh huh…all I get is the baby will come when its ready….I try to explain how hard it is at 40 + weeks with twin toddlers and Chennette has NO sympathy…none.

Ahhhh, well thats life I guess… I’m gonna have to read and comment on other blogs !!!!sob sob sob sob sob sob. Lilandra do you think its fair???

5. Hmmm on January 22nd, 2007 at 7:58 am
  6. This airline is solely focusing on Trinidad and Tobago. dropping most of the other routes held by BWIA. thats why Air Jamaica took up the Barbados to New York route.

6. Jamaican Blogger on January 22nd, 2007 at 8:36 am
  7. @ Ewe – glad to see that you’re up and about in the blogosphere, hope it means you got some little rest.

@ Hmmm
    – I do sympathise – all the time! I just don’t know how to make the baby come out any faster, that’s all. I passed on all the knowledge I know…no one said old wives’ tales were credible 😉

@ Jamaican Blogger – I think it’s ridiculous though, given the support regional governments, particularly Barbados, have given BWee in relation to certain routes. Does traffic through T&T really merit a sole airline like that? And I don’t think it’s even THAT convenient to Trinis anyway – they cut out the ease of travel between Trinidad and Georgetown for business people. Sigh.

7. chennette on January 22nd, 2007 at 9:02 am
  8. What do I think? I think it’s not fair cuz you don’t post on my blog alot!

8. Lilandra on January 22nd, 2007 at 9:32 am
  9. its all about making money and turning a profit…thats how it is in business

9. Jamaican Blogger on January 22nd, 2007 at 11:53 am
  10. Hmmmm- I sympathize, too!
    And you should start your blog so you can demand even more sympathy! 😉

10. ewe_are_here on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:55 pm
  11. 11. Dre on January 31st, 2007 at 8:27 pm
  12. Well I am a Bajan and frequent flier, and I must say that the “word on the street” here in Barbados is that bwee or whatever they call themselves now might as well not even bother coming to Barbados at all.

Can you imagine that there are no longer direct flights between Barbados and New York or Barbados and Miami. So if I wanted to visit my cousin in Brooklyn, I must first fly to Trinidad where I will be forced to OVERNIGHT, and then head on to JFK the morning after.

Can you believe stretching a 4 1/2 hour flight to a 2 day journey!?!? Well neither can the rest of Barbados.

I will be flying AA from now on.

12. Livid Bajan on February 3rd, 2007 at 9:26 am
  13. Thanks for the comment. It is really frustrating when an airline that styles itself as a regional carrier takes this kind of action.

13. chennette on February 3rd, 2007 at 3:14 pm
  14. when will these gangsters give us a good rate to Guyana from anywhere?
    why is it 200 and more sometimes from port of spain to guyana one way? am i buying stock in the company too with the ticket?

14. propagandapress on March 20th, 2007 at 2:09 am
  15. Thanks for the link to the Caribbean Beat. I’m just starting a new blog on <a- href=”http://www.carribeaninclusive.com”Carribean Inclusive Vacations and that site will be a great help. Thanks for the great resource.

18. Christpher Jay on September 27th, 2008 at 12:54 pm
  16. I have nothing against the humming bird logo on caribbean airlines planes, but I do miss the steel pan that was on the former Bwee planes.

19. lawrence cully on October 26th, 2009 at 8:51 pm

1. […] Beat in May May 7th, 2007 — chennette I have said before that I like the Caribbean Beat magazine. As a frequent traveler in the region, it’s a regular read. Sometimes it’s the only […]

2. […] and archives are available online, complete with any recipes featured. And as I have said before, this is one of my favourite magazines so disregard any preconceived notions you may have about infight publications. And no, […]

3. […] and archives are available online, complete with any recipes featured. And as I have said before, this is one of my favourite magazines so disregard any preconceived notions you may have about infight publications. And no, […]

4. […] know if any of my fellow bloggers picked this up, but I just caught sight of a lovely post on the Lifespan of a Chenette blog, with some big-ups for Caribbean Beat. Check it out! Related Posts Caribbean ChristmasCaribbean […]