6 Weird (Food) Facts About Me

I was tagged.

So, without further ado…and with no knowledge of the consequences…here are 6 Weird Food Facts About Me:

1. I can’t stand poultry and cheese. Love chicken, sometimes turkey, and love cheese, but cannot eat them together. I think it’s grounded in a dish Lilandra and I made many many years ago, when we were browsing the cookbook that came with our microwave. It involved turkey and cheese. And while I ate it then, with a fair modicum of enjoyment, the aftermath of the fowly-ness and the cheesiness and the greasiness may have had this immutable consequence of changing my tastes.

2. I have a freakish sensitivity to vanilla essence. And while I have curbed my utter dislike and rejection of it, I can still sniff it out and taste it. This is also from a prior cooking episode gone awry, where I “estimated” the amount of vanilla essence to put into the brownies and was horribly wrong. Horribly. I could taste it all over and smell it. And still can.

3. I love popcorn and icecream, or salty chips and ice cream. I don’t think it’s so weird, but some people may. It’s not something I devised on my own, however. There was an episode of a certain teen melodrama I used to watch (I was still a teenager, so that’s my excuse), where the girls have a slumber party and one of them says she eats popcorn with icecream. I was curious enough to try it. Such is the power of the media.

4. I have to struggle to follow a recipe to the letter. Or even to repeat something exactly the same way. It’s a pet peeve of the brother, since he thinks I experiment with good things and can’t make the perfect brownie, for example each time. But each time I cook I think of new things and I want to see what they’re like. And I can’t wait till NEXT time…why not add cinammon to the stew chicken now? then I’ll know how it comes out and my curiosity will be satisfied!

5. I am picky about how I eat chocolate. Chocolate and cheesecake gives me an instant headache. Could be linked to my sinus allergies, but there it is. Mocha used to do the same. Coffee is mmm. Chocolate is yummmy. But together? Chocolate and fruit – I pass.

6. I eat my food separately, item by item, whenever I can. It doesn’t mean I don’t like mixing or having gravy on top of things, but just that when faced with a plate of multiple items, I like to eat each thing separately. Salad first, then veggies. Rice or potatoes next. Meat/fish last. Although I may alternate the last 2 items. I just appreciate the food better that way, and don’t confuse my tastebuds as to what’s coming next. I am definitely NOT one of those “perfect bite” people (Barbra Streisand in The Mirror has Two Faces) who need tohave a bit of everything on the fork.

And as for tagging…I think it’s time we heard from Hmmm, before the baby comes. Why not include all my waiting-for-a-baby friends? Ewe are Here, you’re up! And since Mani is a closet foodie, he can comment here :-)

1. popcorn and icecream? 😀 krazeee 😀

1. The TriniGourmet on January 21st, 2007 at 9:13 am
  2. krazily delicious, I think you meant to say…

2. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 9:15 am
  3. it tastes good
    i realized after i posted mine that i didn’t include things “i like”
    it was all mini food rants
    i even forgot about the order of food because i guess i grew out of it
    and are you making fun of people who don’t like gravy on their food??

3. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 9:30 am
  4. *I* think the bad thing in that microwave “omelet” was the mayonnaise. That’s what has me gagging years later.

But you don’t see me not eating any.

The cheese and poultry was incidental.

4. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 9:32 am
  5. microwave omelets … i am gonna have to issue a citation!! 😀

6. The TriniGourmet on January 21st, 2007 at 11:56 am
  6. @TriniGourmet: It was surprisingly good. Weirdly enough. We had to beat loads of eggs tho and separated. Very fluffy but I do think back and gag…but I always wanted to separate the eggs for omelets after that but never did. So I look back at it fondly while gagging at the other stuff.

7. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 12:47 pm
  7. @Lilandra – I was just making sure people knew that it wasn’t the same “thing” that we had – that would indeed be weird

@TriniGourmet – we have since studied the art of making good omelets in skillets rather than in microwaves. We were young…

8. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 12:58 pm
  8. Akismet spammed all my attempts to reply to this thread…my own blog!

9. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 1:03 pm
  9. lolziez 😆

10. The TriniGourmet on January 21st, 2007 at 3:28 pm
  10. HEHE
    Weren’t you logged in? Maybe they thought you were pretending to be the real Chennette!

11. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 4:09 pm
  11. Actually – it spammed that last comment too! All that big talk about de-spamming helping them to learn…

12. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 4:19 pm
  12. wow, that’s quite the list, chennette :)

i LOVE vanilla and HATE popcorn on most days. the smell of it cooking nauseates me. i have to admit, there are some days when i can eat popcorn == with icecream? were you pregnant? LOL. can you tolerate vanilla beans? they even have a vanilla paste now by neilsen massey which is excellent for baking.

i still have to make my list. yikes :S

13. burekaboy on January 21st, 2007 at 4:52 pm
  13. Hi burekaboy and welcome officially :-)

I love vanilla bean, it’s just vanilla essence that gives me the problem!

I also love popcorn… adore the smell! I usually eat it very low on the salt and butter though.

14. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 4:55 pm
  14. Can’t believe you eat everything separately…you know thats what the Other Aberdonian does right and I think he’s a FREAK. I have vowed that my children would eat the way I do…there must be a bit of most things on the fork. I can’t even eat a burger or KFC chicken without having fries and the sides at the same time.

15. Hmmm on January 21st, 2007 at 7:55 pm
  15. 😀 I wish you luck, but Mom is the most mixing-up of eaters, down to mixing stew and curry and still Lilandra and I are the way we are .

16. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 7:58 pm
  16. Best wishes hmmm. As Chennette says you do not get anymore mix up than what I do and still I have those two, typical father’s children.
    Smile.

17. trinimom on January 21st, 2007 at 8:15 pm
  17. good to know that Hmmm is a perfect bite person :-) these things we never realise…

if you don’t comment on this post as TAGGED, I’ll produce 6 weird food facts for you 😀

18. chennette on January 21st, 2007 at 8:21 pm
  18. HAHAHAHA
    will you produce two lists? one during pregnancy and one before?

19. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 11:48 pm
  19. Poultry and cheese together did seem gross to me too until Olive garden…They put only minimal cheese in the Chicken Castellina and its YUM…

THAT is crazy about the popcorn! :)
    When I have popcorn I always eat it together with raisinettes in the cinema..It’s a great combination of salt and sweet!

I will be trying out the doubles recipe today or tommorrow

20. Marsha on January 22nd, 2007 at 12:34 pm
  20. You are the only person I’ve heard of who doesn’t like vanilla!

21. Rachel on January 22nd, 2007 at 6:53 pm
  21. @ Marsha – popcorn and raisinettes??? oh well, the Brits eat sweet popcorn…there was no sharing of popcorn among certain nationalities if we went on a movie outing – we just couldn’t agree.

@ Rachel – it’s more the vanilla essence than the flavour of vanilla per se(love vanilla BEAN flavourings) but I do realise i am in a clear minority since it seems like ALL desserts call for a dash of vanilla essence. I leave it out…or throw in cinnamon. Everything could do with some cinamon. Or nutmeg.

22. chennette on January 23rd, 2007 at 12:46 pm
  22. i kinda don’t like it so much now but not as bad as you

23. Lilandra on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:01 pm
  23. You know what? I JUST noticed this post…. never made it below the pretty hummingbird!

I will attempt this one this weekend sometime…
    I am recovering from our very long day… but the good news is our very long day got me my indefinite leave to remain visa. Woo hoo!

25. ewe_are_here on January 26th, 2007 at 4:47 pm
  24. oh, and just in case you missed it (I would have emailed you but I’d have to log out and then log in to my other email account and I’m just.too.lazy.right.now… one of the bloggers I read has a fantastic picture of her henna’d pregnancy belly… http://othejoys.blogspot.com/
    It’s the jan 26th entry.

26. ewe_are_here on January 26th, 2007 at 4:56 pm
  25. Hi ewe – I would have commented on your blog about my tagging you, but I was sadly not online much…
    Waiting to hear – hope you don’t forget the diet coke and 1kg of ice! 😉

27. chennette on January 26th, 2007 at 7:07 pm
  26. Diet coke is a staple. And someday, when we find a house (we’re starting to look), we’re going to actually hook up the ice maker we got in our fridge/freezer so I’ll be eternally happy.

I do admit I’ve tried to be good during the pregnancy, well, as good as only I can be, and drink the caffeine free stuff as much as possible.

28. ewe_are_here on January 27th, 2007 at 8:41 am
  27. It’s weird..wherever I’ve used a fridge/freezer icemaker, I’ve always hated the taste of the ice.
    I wonder what they do with it :(

29. Lilandra on January 27th, 2007 at 2:06 pm
  28. tastes like the water on BWee planes…I always think I am drinking coolant or something

30. chennette on January 27th, 2007 at 2:12 pm
  29. Salaams .
    YO CUZ nice website ! Put something about brisket or rib roast or lamb leg ,lamb shoulder MEAT !!!!

Bless

33. sajeed on April 13th, 2011 at 8:11 pm
  30. thanks cuz. now, if you want to do a guest post on brisket or whatnot let me know…I only deal with such things of meat when at home. Should get them to post about how they made the pastrami!

34. Chennette on April 13th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

1. […] it to the letter. And I did. Kinda. Sorta. Let’s say I had the best of intentions, but like Chennette I often find myself beginning with one recipe and then improvising so much that I end up with […]

2. By » Blog Archive on February 26, 2007 at 3:28 pm

[…] was checking out Chennette’s website and read a funny post about her weird foodie quirks and it got me wondering about the odd things that my friends and I eat or don’t like to eat. […]

3. […] they seemed more water and skin and no fruitiness. But then I have issues with fruit sometimes. I’m a fussy person sometimes when it comes to food. And I don’t like change. And it’s hard to make decisions that involve spending major […]