Answers to Questions – Hmmm’s Questions!

So, my good friend, former roommate and longtime reader 😉 posted some questions for me the other day. I try to be good, so here are my answers!

1) Do you prefer hot dogs and hambugers…and why and what do you like on them?

I can’t stand hotdogs – sausages and most preserved, cured or smoked meats make me a little sick, their smell, texture; I react badly to them. My theory – it’s a food allergy. Or, just good taste 😉 (Caveat: I have eaten Bosnian sausage and dried Bosnian beef neck with bread and cheese and liked them, as well as the Rik’s Pizza sausage, but those don’t have the same taste or texture. And probably not made the same way).

Hamburgers I like sometimes. Burnt and crispy. With mayonnaise. No ketchup or mustard. No sloppy tomatoes or raw onions. Maybe some lettuce. I am not a meat sandwich person so I am picky when I DO eat them.

2) What’s the most adventurous food you have ever had and where and why?

I think sushi was my most adventurous – raw fish, new flavours – but I loved it. First had it in Edinburgh. Before that, it may have been a seafood pasta, with squid and mussels etc that I had in Jardin des Tuileries in West Mall. Love seafood, but it takes a bit of getting used to the rubberiness. I am so texture oriented.

3) Which food do you hate the most?

See 1 above. Sausages and the like. Also hate processed cheese slices – taste like plastic. And I have a ridiculous and self-caused aversion to vanilla essence.

4) If you were stranded on a deserted island and had only a three course meal – what would it be and why?

Yikes. This is hard. Dessert – coconut ice cream because I’d never get tired of it (no sinus allergies on this island right?). Appetizer – something fried and crispy? calamari! or bruschetta. This is hard. Main course…something with rice meat and peas. Pelau or biriyani maybe. But this is what I am feeling now.

5) For your wedding what would you serve…and why?

Lamb biriyani. I like it and whether I have a small or big, simple or fancy wedding, it’ll meet the challenge.

6) If you were on a diet, what would be the hardest thing to give up?

Pizza. Cheese.

7) Do you eat when you’re depressed…if yes, what’s best?

Popcorn. It’s light and doesn’t make my sinuses object and I can eat a whole big bowl of it. Gives my hands something to do to eat all those little fluffy kernels. Reminds me of being in a cinema. Followed by a hot drink of something.

8 ) What’s your favourite drink…I should know this?

Ahm…dunno.

9) Does your Dad cook, does he have one ‘great’ dish – what is it?

Eggs. Dad makes eggs. Whenever we were left alone with him as children we’d get eggs. It wasn’t always great, because he and sister, the elder loved poached eggs and I couldn’t stand them (texture). Apparently, when he was a student in the UK, his landlady took pity on his non-cooking self and taught him that much. In the last decade Mom has taught him to cook some basics for when he is in the US on studyleave during the summers. She wrote out recipes and shopping lists for him in a copybook.

10) What kind of chow do you like and what do you put in it? And are you like ALL trinis who feel that their chow is the BEST because of….whatever it is that they add?

Nah, I don’t claim my chow is the best. We grew up making chow whenever something was in season. Cucumbers if nothing was. Half-ripe mango. The classic, with shadon beni and garlic, salt and of course, pepper. I also like ripe mango chow, for the contrast in flavours. Guava chow I have not had in ages. But half-ripe mango is definitely my favourite. Although…age tells. My stomach may not like it as much as I do :-(

11) What is your favourite fruit?

Argh. Tough again. Is coconut a fruit? I like pawpaw.

12) Favorite kind of mango and why?

Ice-cream mango. Do I really have to explain?

13) Favourite kind of banana and why?

Ah. Think I am allergic

14) What’s your Mum’s favourite dish to cook?

It varies. She likes to make kibbeh and biriyani. Saim! Best to ask her.

15) Can Lilandra cook?….smile just kidding?

Cook? Her? Ha! She doesn’t know what a kitchen looks like – we have to post directions. (hehehe…how long till she replies to that one!!)

16) Can brother cook?

Allegedly. Although the only thing I have ever seen him make by himself was Crix fried in butter (don’t ask, it was apparently a neighbourhood boy fad in our village at some point). Actually, he can cook. He can make paratha. And he made pizza dough on his own. And always participated in making things he likes. There’s probably a whole list of things he can cook, but I haven’t seen the actual proof.

—————

Ok. Those are my answers. That was like homework 😉 Next time – I get to ask Hmmm questions! Although I have to hurry before the baby is born and she doesn’t have any more time for my blog…

1. Cool answers – when I asked about ‘drink’ I meant like….orange juice, coke, sorrel, ginger ale, hot cocoa, tea….etc. What did you think I meant???;-)

1. Hmmm on January 18th, 2007 at 1:59 pm
  2. 😉

2. Hmmm on January 18th, 2007 at 2:00 pm
  3. who ya marryin chennette 😀

3. The TriniGourmet on January 18th, 2007 at 2:28 pm
  4. good job…and btw “who ya marryin”

4. Jamaican Blogger on January 18th, 2007 at 6:16 pm
  5. I can’t cook.

Crix fried in butter?????

Her favourite drink is…COKE!

5. Lilandra on January 18th, 2007 at 7:04 pm
  6. @ Hmmm and Lilandra – I couldn’t think last night what was my favourite drink. And NO it’s not coca-cola despite my cravings for sweet carbonated caffeine. It’s coconut water. Seriously. Cold, NO ICE, sweet coconut water.

@ Trini Gourmet and Jamaican Blogger – Well, clearly someone who’s not allergic to lamb. Or mutton. Go out into the world and look. I’ll be busy back here with other things 😉

@ Lilandra – he never made any for you? he learned from one of the boys over the road. I couldn’t eat it. I could barely look at it. Ugh.

6. chennette on January 18th, 2007 at 7:33 pm
  7. I never heard of that abomination!

7. Lilandra on January 18th, 2007 at 8:34 pm
  8. Yeah Trini Gourmet and Jamaican Blogger , I too am awaiting that answer but I know I would be put on the spot hehehehehehe.
    Take care

8. trinimom on January 19th, 2007 at 8:40 pm
  9. mmm…crix fried in butter…now THAT sounds like a meal.

Chennette, you don’t like vanilla essence? What kind of human being are you?

9. Mani on January 20th, 2007 at 7:08 am
  10. Mani, I thought I had explained, but maybe only in my head. I am a human being who has ruined my own experience. Once, long ago, I made brownies. Long long ago. The recipe called for a teaspoon or so of vanilla essence. Thinking I was a pro, I decided to average it and pour it directly into the batter. Sigh. I threw in way too much, but I thought, “it’s vanilla essence, how bad can it be?” I tasted that vanilla essence, smelled it, in every single bite. I don’t know if the rest of the family tasted it that overpoweringly, but I did. And it has ruined me for vanilla essence ever since. Once I get a whiff of it, it overpowers all other flavours. I once bought a triple chocolate muffin and all I could taste was vanilla.

But being a vanilla essence sniffer may be a skill that comes in handy at some point.

10. chennette on January 20th, 2007 at 11:36 am
  11. lol, u used to sniff vanilla essence?

Well until vanilla bean is found to be a dangerous drug, I don’t hold much hope for you. But from the way you’ve sniffed vanilla essence in the past, that may not be a long ways away, lol.

ummm, what’s the crix in butter recipe?

11. Mani on January 20th, 2007 at 12:58 pm
  12. I actually like vanilla BEAN flavouring, it’s just the essence I can’t tolerate.

Sigh. Males. Melt a ton of butter in a pot. When it starts to bubble, put in as many crix, one by one, as the butter can take. When it’s all absorbed and “frying” or getting browned, take it out. And I suppose, eat.

12. chennette on January 20th, 2007 at 1:09 pm
  13. ahhhh i see. I’m tempted to ask why you sniffed vanilla essence, but I think that may be a topic for a whole post.

Thanks for the fried crix recipe, I can feel my arteries clogging already.

By the way I plan on starting my own kitchen garden this year. I even wanted to grow my own vanilla bean. I just wish I knew where to get a plant.

13. Mani on January 20th, 2007 at 1:26 pm
  14. Just before Christmas, Lilandra and I called almost every single major nursery and asked “Do you sell vanilla bean orchids?”. Some laughed and said “what? no” in a mocking tone. We will never call them again as they clearly didn’t know such a thing existed. One said they used to have a loooong time ago, but not now. One said they used to have but they didn’t survive. And one said that vanilla bean orchids are illegal – I don’t know if they just meant we need a permit to import them, or what. I need to talk to my Plant Quarantine contacts. Or backup plan was lying in wait for the Orchid Society after one of their meetings on Lady Chancellor…

There was an ad just around that time in the papers, about someone selling the tubes of vanilla bean pods – maybe Lilandra recalls the details.

14. chennette on January 20th, 2007 at 1:35 pm
  15. lol, wow we think alike. It’s illegal to own a vanilla bean orchid? and you have plant quarantine contacts? Well if you ever find them being sold be sure to tell me where. The only turn-off is that I hear you have to pollinate the orchids yourself, which I guess may not be too bad.

15. Mani on January 20th, 2007 at 3:19 pm
  16. Someone on that muslim site we’ve gone to said they had one but it was hard to cure it…they failed miserably at it

16. Lilandra on January 20th, 2007 at 9:33 pm
  17. where’s your weird food facts?

17. Lilandra on January 21st, 2007 at 1:06 am

One Trackback

1. […] sensitivity to vanilla essence. And while I have curbed my utter dislike and rejection of it, I can still sniff it out and taste it. This is also from a prior cooking episode gone awry, where I “estimated” the amount of […]