Deciding between a Nikon d50 and a Canon XTi

Lilandra has been on a campaign for me to buy a DSLR. And it’s true I think I want more than a point and shoot (it’s never a question of NEED when you’re looking at spending several hundred US dollars), but I haven’t had time to do research or think about what I want. So being a true fanatic when it comes to buying gadgets, computers and now cameras, she has been bombarding me with links and reviews and whatnot. And we’ve reached the stage I knew I would reach, where I am ready to buy. But buy what? Her post is a little more detailed as to what we want etc, but we have no photographer people to talk to or stores to visit, so we’re flying blind. Any ideas?

I Want New Internet! ¬Ľ Cameras: Please HELP me Decide between a Nikon d50 and a Canon XTi

Now I don’t always give in to relentless campaigning and pressure, just in case you were wondering. She never convinced me to buy those Apples.

1. That’s only because you were going to Guyana!

1. Lilandra on December 29th, 2006 at 11:16 am
  2. if we can’t trust you to buy a mac how can we trust you to choose a CAMERA!!!!

2. The TriniGourmet on December 29th, 2006 at 6:12 pm
  3. ūüė•

3. The TriniGourmet on December 29th, 2006 at 6:12 pm
  4. You’ve given her ammunition. I’m besieged…

4. chennette on December 29th, 2006 at 6:36 pm
  5. *hi fives lilandra* ūüėČ

5. The TriniGourmet on December 29th, 2006 at 9:11 pm
  6. *hi fives TriniGourmet*

Alrighty then…Canon it is!
    MWUHAHAHA

But on a happy note, the mac seduced my brother and we both have PowerBook G4s ūüėÄ

6. Lilandra on December 29th, 2006 at 11:49 pm
  7. Hello!!! Anybody said we make a decision yet??

7. chennette on December 29th, 2006 at 11:53 pm
  8. But we decided we can’t trust you.
    Thus I have to make the decision.

9. Lilandra on December 30th, 2006 at 5:47 am
  9. I suggest that get a lockbox to go with whatever you pick out so it doesn’t go AWOL.

ūüėČ

10. ewe_are_here on December 30th, 2006 at 9:43 am
  10. well, we did reach the stage where we’re both buying a camera :-) so that’s one less worry I’ll have!

11. chennette on December 30th, 2006 at 11:22 am
  11. WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING ABOUT ME?
    YOU SHOULD BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT BIG SIS AND NIECE THAN ME!

12. Lilandra on December 30th, 2006 at 1:45 pm
  12. You are the one who let the niece chew my camera case – you left dozens of pics on my computer as proof – you know she addicted to leather!!!

13. chennette on December 30th, 2006 at 2:10 pm
  13. That’s what I meant that you should be worried about niece.
    It kept her quiet and happy.

There’s not much that keeps her quiet and happy.

14. Lilandra on December 30th, 2006 at 5:11 pm
  14. I have a Nikon D50 and it’s a great investment. I’ve always used Nikon (more than 20 years) and when I worked in the newspapers – both in TT and the UK – all the cameramen used Nikon because they are sturdier than Canon and their lenses are superior.
    Canon has really done well with the EOS range but, the main drawback to using Canon is that each model brings with it a different mounting ring for lenses whereas Nikon’s lenses are interchangeable. You will be able to use your lenses for your D50 on your next Nikon camera when you step up, maybe a D80 or one of the more professional lines.
    If you’re looking at cost, there’s now a D40 which isn’t too far behind. Go brave and go Nikon.

15. Trinifood on December 31st, 2006 at 7:05 am
  15. But the D40 doesn’t take all the lenses that the D50 and D80 and D70 take. Or it does but can’t use the auto-focusing of it.

One of my online friends said that she has Nikon lenses from some time ago which she unfortunately can’t use any more since none of the new cameras support it. So she feels bummed and burned and is running away to Canon (if she goes back to SLR).

The Rebels do have a different mounting ring from some of the higher end models but they can use the same lenses (if you know which ones they are before you buy I guess).

I think basically we’ll be taking a chance that the company of choice doesn’t decide to screw us one day because it makes more money so…but that is the proprietary and closed life! :-(

16. Lilandra on December 31st, 2006 at 10:31 am
  16. Yay – a vote for Nikon D50. We considered the D40 but decided against it because of the lens issue. I think we just need to buy and start learning to use a DSLR; any DSLR… :-)

Thanks for the input Trinifood!

17. chennette on December 31st, 2006 at 11:29 am
  17. *mutters*

18. Lilandra on December 31st, 2006 at 3:46 pm
  18. canon begins with c…
    chennette begins with c…

jus sayin ūüėõ

*feelin’ silly*
    *plus kate moss sux*

19. The TriniGourmet on January 1st, 2007 at 7:57 pm
  19. oh forgot to mention, this new theme makin me feel cool and breezy, like ol school alcolado :) none of that plastic bottle crap, i talking GLASS ūüėÄ

20. The TriniGourmet on January 1st, 2007 at 7:58 pm
  20. you want real old school, we talking Limacol man…that is the GLASS! Freshness of a breeze in a bottle!

I like this theme, and the colours are customisable so I may change by mood ūüėÄ

21. chennette on January 1st, 2007 at 8:46 pm
  21. Just let me know when you get you D50! You won’t be sorry.

22. Trinifood on January 7th, 2007 at 9:10 am
  22. As of last night, we’ve pretty much decided on the D50, now we have to figure out the logistics of getting it :-)

23. chennette on January 7th, 2007 at 9:13 am
  23. WE NEVER CONSIDERED D40!

*sobs*

24. Lilandra on January 7th, 2007 at 2:54 pm

1. […] Visit Chennette […]

2. By Lifespan of a Chennette A Collection of Thoughts « on January 11, 2007 at 1:07 am

[…] Or the way TriniFood raises questions and thoughts about our food culture that really make me think and want to know the answers. The development of our foods and tastes are so intrinsically linked to developments in our society, it’s a fascinating subject, even without the recipes. I know it may be her tricky way of getting a reading audience hooked for when she publishes that book, but all the better! And she gets down into the cooking part too. Not to mention backing me for the Nikon!! […]

3. By Where’s my DSLR? » Nikon D80 v Nikon D50 on January 12, 2007 at 3:35 am

[…] I texted Chennette to tell her that maybe she should consider the D80 cuz she’s waaaay more serious than I am […]

4. […] story previously: 12 11 10 9b 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 […]

5. By Lifespan of a Chennette Where is it??? « on March 23, 2007 at 2:15 pm

[…] to pay for my brand-new Nikon d80 DSLR. You remember the path Lilandra and I took to get here – the choices, the decision, the agony when she had to return her d50. But then! Cave Shepherd got d80s!! A […]

6. By Lifespan of a Chennette Cameras en route! « on May 15, 2007 at 6:25 pm

[…] en route! May 15th, 2007 — chennette For anyone who was following the whole Nikon/Canon debate and the agony that Lilandra and I still had to endure, even after we finally settled on the […]

7. […] I’ve¬†never¬†been¬†a¬†huge¬†fan¬†of¬†apples.¬†Except¬†in¬†apple¬†pie.¬†And¬†crumble.¬†I¬†like¬†them.¬†I¬†eat them.¬†I¬†had¬†issues¬†with¬†their¬†water¬†content¬†and¬†the¬†fact¬†that¬†they¬†were¬†always¬†imported¬†and therefore¬†highly¬†prized¬†for¬†the¬†name,¬†or¬†the¬†shiny¬†exterior¬†and¬†the¬†foreignness. Sometimes they seemed more water and skin and no fruitiness. But then I have issues with fruit sometimes. I’m a fussy person sometimes when it comes to food. And I don’t like change. And it’s hard to make decisions that involve spending major amounts of money. Whether or not I can afford it, I’ve been raised to be naturally frugal, at least in outlook. And that makes shopping for new things a hard road. Look how long I took to choose between the Nikon D80 and the Canon Rebel XTI! […]