Christmas in T&T

Christmas in T&T: Originally uploaded by Lilandra.

At a seminar a couple weeks ago, there was some light banter about the best smells of Christmas, whether they were from Guyana or St Vincent or T&T. Guyana was all about the pepperpot and the cookup. I think all countries would end up with smells of Black/Great cake and then smell of liquor, but it’s a sentimental issue 😉 Then I remembered that there are such sentimental associations for Christmas for us in Trinidad & Tobago, even if we are Muslim and don’t celebrate the season. (And this is not to be assumed in Trinidad, where even hijab-wearing Muslims celebrate the season and everyone therefore is surprised and disbelieving when you tell them Christmas Day is not really special for you, other than a public holiday, and you have spent some Christmases painting, or spreading termite-protector on wood planks or sleeping, or you know, nothing…)

Anyway, back to my associations. Despite not celebrating, the season means many things…sorrel! and pastelles! and in the 80s growing up, when we had import restrictions, Christmas time was the only time we got an abundance of apples and grapes and pears. So this picture is Christmas-time in Trinidad. Roadside vegetable and fruit stall in Chaguanas. Next to Courts and on the highway entrance. I only wish people wouldn’t insist on putting those apples and pears and grapes in salads.

Picture taken by Lilandra as we were driving Friday.

1. Oooo you busy blogger!

1. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on December 3rd, 2006 at 6:50 pm
  2. Hi,
    Great bloggin here.
    do check on the
    the ‘Lilandra’ link as it has a typo.

2. Amzz on December 4th, 2006 at 6:44 am
  3. Thanks.. I fixed it – can’t believe she didn’t catch that complain!

3. chennette on December 4th, 2006 at 10:40 am
  4. Blood pressure high!
    I passed my cursor over the links but couldn’t concentrate on them for too long.

:-(

4. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on December 4th, 2006 at 4:47 pm
  5. Very colourful fruit stand! Great pic!

5. ewe_are_here on December 4th, 2006 at 6:14 pm
  6. mine!

6. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on December 5th, 2006 at 1:20 am
  7. Guess you’d better hope they fix that camera, then. Takes good pics!

7. ewe_are_here on December 5th, 2006 at 3:41 pm
  8. *sigh*

Not my camera.
    It was Chennette’s P&S.
    If only it were her SLR!

8. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on December 5th, 2006 at 6:15 pm
  9. So, I see the campaign is on for you to cough up the big bucks for a new DSLR. Presumably so Ms Empress of Chocolate can ‘borrow’ it. snort

(I actually looked it up the initials on wikipedia as well, out of curiousity, and whaddya know… 😉

9. ewe_are_here on December 6th, 2006 at 3:40 pm
  10. Well, her first grand plan (which was funny to watch as comprehension dawned on her face of the possibilities) was for me to GIVE her my current Nikon Cool Pix 7900 and then I would buy myself a DSLR, since I want one at some point in time anyway, thus saving the world from excess camera buying…although if I ever told you how I once tricked her out of a book I wanted in exchange for a ratty old cat postcard, you’ll understand if she’s not successful in her campaign.

10. chennette on December 6th, 2006 at 3:47 pm
  11. I was a baby and we’re not allowed to speak of that incident because you must remember I’m home with the book and…I am in control!

I don’t really want your Nikon.

And I only want to use it for a bit…see what’s so great about it.
    She’s going to buy it anywayz!

11. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on December 6th, 2006 at 5:06 pm