Visiting Rasam Restaurant again

Murgh Malai Kebab Aloo Samosas
Murgh Sagwala Chicken Vindaloo
Paneer and Mushroom Massala

I like this restaurant. I like Indian food, so it’s easy. I thought since this is the 3rd time I have eaten here, I should do more of a review type post. After all, that’s why I blog now, right? To write more – make more words on a page. For people to perhaps read. Anyway, onward to the review! Lilandra and I went this time with our mother. This was after my lengthy convalescence from typhoid fever and before my return to Guyana. Rasam is in the City of Grand Bazaar the large open air mall at the crossroads of the East-West and North-South highways in Trinidad. They have buffet nights, which are affordable, and a wide variety of dishes from North and South India on the menu, which are usually all available. It has all halaal meats, so we can order anything off the menu. We have found though, particularly for their buffets, that the vegetarian dishes taste great -sometimes better than the meat dishes.

I have actually been to this restaurant space 4 times, but the first time it was Apsara and I got the family to go for my UWI graduation. While we liked some of the food, and considering we had 9 people at the table the bill wasn’t too high, our server then was definitely NOT helpful or friendly. Considering this was the first authentic Indian restaurant in Trinidad, and we didn’t know all the dishes, she could have tried harder to answer our questions. Anyway, again I am supposed to be reviewing Rasam!

The people at Rasam have always been friendly and very helpful with the menu. The service was a bit slow this time, but our server did explain as soon as she seated us that there would be a little delay. Once the food started coming it came quickly though, so there are no complaints really. Well, other than there’s a table cloth on the far eastern corner of the restaurant that has a burn on it. The burn was there the last time too. And we did point it out to our server, but they haven’t changed the table cloth, it was still there. Fortunately, we weren’t seated AT that table, just next to it.

But to the food –

Appetisers – we ordered Spiced Lamb Balls because we’d had them the last time and loved them. This time they seemed smaller and definitely a smidgen burnt, and perhaps not as beautifully spiced as last time. But good nonetheless. We also had Murgh Malai Kebabs which are pieces of spiced chicked on skewers. These were brought hot and sizzling to the table and were great. Big on the cloves, so be warned if you don’t like the taste. We also had Aloo Samosas, which were obviously fried by the same cook who did the lamb balls, since they were a bit too brown, but still good, especially with the coconut chutney they serve.

Entrees Paneer and Mushroom Masala – very good. I like Paneer and Rasam’s vegetarian curries are always good. Then Murgh Sagwala which is chicken cooked in spinach – also good, but I was getting a bit full by then. Still not back to a full eating limit. And Chicken Vindaloo, with bits of potato – spicy hot. Apparently I need to build back up my tolerance for heat. Darn. Despite the heat, it had great flavour though. All this came with basmati rice and we ordered some Garlic Naan, which was really good – I didn’t take a picture of it, but Lilandra did.

We skipped dessert since we were full. But yet again, another good experience at Rasam, in Grand Bazaar.

1. So is Apsara Rassam? and are there now two Apsaras?
    I would like to go to Tam Nak Thai.

1. Lilandra on November 20th, 2006 at 1:41 am
  2. I don’t think so – I think it’s two different restaurants – Apsara has just moved to town with valet parking, where they can probably charge more. I haven’t been there though

2. chennette on November 20th, 2006 at 1:42 am
  3. but you counted the visit…?

3. Lilandra on November 20th, 2006 at 9:19 pm
  4. I said, and I quote “I have actually been to this restaurant space 4 times” (emphasis added).

4. chennette on November 20th, 2006 at 9:21 pm
  5. I went to college with a guy whose parents were from Gujarat which means I had many trips home with him Memphis, where I learned the hard way that not all Indian foods are curries. But I loved it all. Chennette, have you ever had Matar Paneer? What about Puri with some Shrikhand on the side. I really need to make a trip to Rasam.

5. Mani on November 24th, 2006 at 7:49 pm
  6. Yes, I know much more about Indian food now, especially after a year in the UK and will try almost anything. Favourite is a good lamb karahi. Still not a big fan of their parathas and puris, and only sometimes have nan – but I am a rice person more often than not! I have heard that Apsara didn’t get better with the move to POS, but for reference I think I would like to try it again – my first experience was alomost 10 years ago!

6. chennette on November 24th, 2006 at 8:55 pm
  7. Dear All, for those of us who have grown up on indian food, you gotta realise Indian cooking in Trinidad is mostly limited to either noth Indian and hardly any other type of cooking. I must say Apsara, enen though is so expensive has not triggered my taste buds, Bombay Duck in Glencoe also lacks something I cant put my finger on, some how everything seems to taste so generic if you have to compare the limited number of restaurants we have in Trinidad. Daawat’s gives you ur value for money but again lacks richness in quality. If its one thing I am not impressed with is whe these restaurants that charge so much dont give you quality and substitue when ingredients are available. And Mani, Gujurati food doesnt seem to hit the spot with trinis especially since it has a hint of sweet. Like wise for south indian food, you need to acquire a taste for coconut and jaggery based foods. So the next time you really wanna eat indian food, trinidad is not the best substitute!!

8. Gigakid on April 20th, 2009 at 8:14 pm
  8. Dear Gigakid. Not sure what you were reading, but no one ever said Trinidad food was a substitute for the food from the whole of the Indian subcontinent. But we were discussing the restaurants that are in Trinidad (since we’re not always in a position to fly out or knock at the door of someone from India) and the experiences we have had outside as well. I’ve had quite a bit of Gujarati food in my time, and have gotten used to certain flavours over time.

9. Chennette on April 21st, 2009 at 1:56 am
  9. Some foods in Trinidad can be linked to south indian foods through its cooking … example coconut milk is used to cook many vegetables especially chataigne, saim, bodi and spinach. It is also used to cook meats like curry duck and curried or stewed mutton. But the hot pepper and the several other spices are what really makes some of our food like south indian food. We too use cardammon, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in our cooking and for stews as well … the good pot of pelau/ pilaf would do well with spice and clove….and the coconut milk in the curried fish and curried crab and dumplings….
    Sound familiar……our food is so varied and that is because of our callaloo heritage.

Food at the Indian place in the new Food Court in Grand Bazaar tasted very good and was reasonably priced….Lilandra and I had to share a combo as it was so much food and the cane juice was so refreshing and that too we shared as it was a tall glass and it was filled.
    The nan was also light and very pleasantly garlic flavoured to the right amount……

10. trinimom on April 21st, 2009 at 9:41 pm
  10. OOH forgot to add that when Mala stayed with me when she was visiting Trinidad and I made fish curry she was taken aback as it tasted like home food, she was from south india and loved fish and rice….she said it was good to taste the ginger in the fish but it did not over power the curry and coconut… this was how my mother cooked her fish so many moons ago ……lol……

11. trinimom on April 21st, 2009 at 9:51 pm

One Trackback

1. By Lifespan of a Chennette Sitar, Barbados « on March 25, 2007 at 6:48 pm

[…] fairly affordable. I noticed the dish they served the Matar Paneer in looks JUST like the ones that Rasam in Trinidad uses. Must be a Caribbean Indian restaurant supply store. But the plates were cool and […]