Belated Eid Mubarak

Highway Masjid at Sunset
It’s been a week and I never got around to posting for Eid ul Fitr. But while I made sweets and was more active in the days leading up to Eid, I spent Eid and about 2 or 3 days after that, sleeping. Followed by some nights of insomnia. Fun stuff. Apparently this is normal convalescence. Thought convalescence only happened in books, but such is my life right now.

The picture at the top is the Seemab Memorial Masjid, also called Highway Masjid since it’s conveniently located on the highway in Charlieville and therefore a convenient place to stop on the way North or South when it’s time for Salaah (one of the 5 daily prayers). Sunset picture.

Anyway, I did celebrate amidst all that sleeping. And the food we made was great. So here are the pics:

Row 1 – Accra (with saltfish); Bakalva rolls (with walnuts)

Row 2 – Halwah (with rice flour); Basboosa (semolina and syrup)

Row 3 – Lamb Biriyani; Lamb Kibbeh

accras - again Baklava rolls
Rice Halwah basboosa
Lamb Biriyani Lamb Kibbeh

1. ummm… I am so jelous! U opening a restaurant anytime soon? Man.. now I feeling REAL hungry.. Gone for a late lunch..

1. Island Spice on November 1st, 2006 at 2:22 pm
  2. I remember when you used to cook all these lovely things in our ‘over-subscribed’ busy kitchen. Very impressive, as usual.

My family’s lucky I managed to defrost some of my pasta sauce tonight. 😉

2. ewe_are_here on November 1st, 2006 at 3:17 pm
  3. Well, this was a special occasion. And there were other people – for example I did nothing with the kibbeh and only tasted the biriyani. Mom did them, and the halwah and accra. If I was in my flat in Guyana, it would take a lot of effort to cook for and by myself. Sigh.

3. chennette on November 1st, 2006 at 3:53 pm
  4. WHAT ABOUT ME????

4. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on November 1st, 2006 at 8:18 pm
  5. I did say “the food WE made”. I was only pointing out the things that Mom did all by herself with which I (and you) had nothing to do. But for clarity, LILANDRA made things too.

5. chennette on November 1st, 2006 at 8:21 pm
  6. Yes.
    Hmph.
    I cook.
    No Chocolate Hearts of Darkness for you.

6. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on November 1st, 2006 at 10:04 pm
  7. Well, since I am not slavishly addicted to chocolate – I imagine I shall survive.

7. chennette on November 1st, 2006 at 10:07 pm
  8. You *imagine* but incorrectly.

8. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on November 2nd, 2006 at 12:57 am
  9. Who are you? The imagination police? I own my imagination, thank you very much.

9. chennette on November 2nd, 2006 at 1:04 am
  10. You two didn’t happen to share a room growing up did you? I can’t imagine you both getting out alive if you did! 😉

10. ewe_are_here on November 2nd, 2006 at 2:18 pm
  11. Of course we did. And she always tried killing me.

11. Ghost of Lilandra on November 2nd, 2006 at 2:35 pm
  12. She was a SNIFFLER!! Can you imagine how hard it is to sleep with a sniffler in the room?

12. chennette on November 2nd, 2006 at 3:43 pm
  13. You just are bad bad bad and terrorised me.

13. Lilandra, Empress of Chocolate on November 2nd, 2006 at 5:32 pm
  14. Separate islands. No, countries! Yes, that’s it. Countries!

14. ewe_are_here on November 3rd, 2006 at 8:11 pm