Battimamzelle Restaurant, Coblentz Inn

Battimamzelle starter:
Chicken with za’atar, shankleesh, basil, tomatoes and sumac oil on a bed of couscous.

At the Battimamzelle restaurant in Coblentz Inn*, Cascade, Port of Spain, Trinidad. We were in a dark corner, hence the varied quality of the photos. Nice atmosphere, with stained glass and wrought-iron battimamzelles in the decor. Quick service for the food, but took a while to get the check! Menu fixe for a 3 course meal TT$175. You get a choice of three starters, three entrees and three desserts.

Battimamzelle entree

For the Entree, I had Kingfish with guava bbq sauce, on a bed of spinach with coconut milk and mashed potatoes.

Battimamzelle dessert

Dessert was the profiteroles with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce with sliced almonds.

Battimamzelle is what we Trinis call the pretty little dragonflies with the colourful wings that flit around, like crazy ladies…

—————————————————-

* I feel obliged to add (as seen in the comments) that since this visit, Khalid Mohammed is no longer Executive Chef. I have since visited, as part of a specially organised group for work and the food was still impressive in presentation and taste. And the outdoor setting is also very nice. However, I have not visited as a regular patron to see if there were any appreciable differences.

Also, the Coblentz Inn people are persistent. I hope that means that they are as attentive to their customers as they are the naming of their presence on the internet… They have contacted me again, and so I am obliged to state that, also since this visit, the hotel is now called the Coblentz Inn Boutique Hotel. I am not, however, going to change all my records, because I didn’t go to the Coblentz Inn Boutique Hotel and I don’t like too much retroactive amendments…

I prefer footnotes. And asterisks.

1. Greetings Chennette. As a lover of good food I certainly enjoy your blog. Never thought to take pix before I started eating before.. and I have seen some pretty food in my time! Anyway its really all about the taste.
    Battimamzelle has tasty dishes in a quaint setting. All my Jamaican friends are put off my the name tho..

1. Island Spice on October 9th, 2006 at 1:26 pm
  2. Hi Spice – thanks for dropping by. I don’t always manage to take pictures before I eat, especially when I cook myself. At restaurants it’s easier sometimes. But yes, it all about the taste, but it’s great to try to show the taste in pictures sometimes, so I try.

2. chennette on October 9th, 2006 at 1:44 pm
  3. Hey… I came in search of Barfi recipes… being in Barbados three weeks has done serious damage to my taste buds and I literally stayed up last night day dreaming about barfi and prasad!! I went to back home to Trinidad on Tuesday and flew out in the night and a HUGE part of my busy day was spent in search of Barfi to stock in my freezer in hopes that it would thaw out decently. But NO ONE made Barfi this week in the entire island it seemed and I had to leave empty handed with my tummy touching my back for lack of barfi! Anyway, thank you for posting your Mum’s recipe! Looks amazing! Now, the question is, does your Mum make the best prasad in the whole entire world cause if she does… I want the recipe!!!!

P.S Battimamzelle is Trinidad’s best restaurant! Serious kuddos to Khalid! He’s a genius!

3. wonder weakling on November 18th, 2006 at 10:39 am
  4. Unfortunately, no parsad recipe – you needed to visit during Divali when people were just handing it out left right and centre!

4. chennette on November 18th, 2006 at 12:15 pm
  5. Dear Chennette:

Thank you for listing us on your site.

Please note, however that Khalid Mohammed is no longer our executive chef.

Please be guided accordingly

Regards

Abi James
    Reservations

5. Coblentz Inn/Battimamzelle on March 6th, 2007 at 1:27 pm
  6. Anyone else find this a bit odd? I had to come and re-read my review to see whether I even mentioned the name of the chef…and I didn’t.
    Hmmm.
    Now, there’s speculation where before there was none.
    Ah, well, I suppose I should be accordingly guided and re-visit Battimamzelle to try out the new executive chef?

6. chennette on March 6th, 2007 at 5:06 pm
  7. in wonder weekling‘s comment…s/he mentions that khalid is genius!

7. Lilandra on March 6th, 2007 at 5:36 pm
  8. AH! Missed that part. Still…

8. chennette on March 6th, 2007 at 5:44 pm